AdiumX Keeps Starting on Login

Reaction score
AdiumX keeps starting automatically on login, when neither the "Open at Login" in the dock icon is checked nor is Adium in the "Login Items" list. I've used lingon to check for launchd items, but I haven't found anything. I do not want AdiumX to autostart. How can I fix this?

Reaction score
If you go to Adium -> Preferences -> Accounts, choose an account and click "Edit." Do any of your accounts have the "Connect when Adium Opens" box checked?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have that setting on all my accounts in Adium and my Adium does not open unless I launch if after the computer boots. That setting is when you open Adium the accounts where that is checked with auto login. If it's unchecked that account will not open unless you manual click on it. I was thinking at first that was it till I remembered what those settings do. There has to be something somewhere. I have never had adium auto launch at bootup.

I have searched and searched and the only two ways I have found is in the Startup Items or if you check Open At Logon in the dock icon. I went through the config and nothing.

Can you try this and report back? Make a new account in OSX and log into that and then see if Adium comes up.

OP
ninjaslim
Reaction score
I tried your suggestion, dtravis7 and Adium did indeed open up on even the first login of that account.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have looked everywhere and find nothing besides the Dock setting and in users. In fact the question was asked on the Adium forums and they flat out said it would be a waste to put in that option since it's so easy with the above 2 to make it auto start.

I have one possible thought. Have you installed any Extras into Adium? A Plugin?

Also what version of Adium are you running there?

OP
ninjaslim
Reaction score
I running Adium 1.3.3 with no plugins that would do this. I've installed two styles. I tried cleaning it out too and it still does no good.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would tell you to zap the adium plist file but logging in as a different user should have done the same thing for you as each account uses a separate plist file for adium.

I am at a loss since I have never seen it happen with adium on so many different Macs over the years except if it was put in the startup items or the option in the dock icon was checked.

I will keep looking for an answer for you.

Reaction score
System Preferences --> Accounts --> Login Items
hope this can help~

OP
ninjaslim
Reaction score
I appreciate the attempt, but please read the original post before responding.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is another thread on the Adium issue you are having. Every search no matter how I word it comes back with the same results. I am wondering if it's something in your OSX install but I see nothing anywhere mentioned.

Stop Adium from auto-starting? - Mac Forums

OP
ninjaslim
Reaction score
I've seen that, but nothing else. I still don't know what's wrong.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder what would happen if you totally removed Adium from the system. Throw Adium in the trash and empty then go to user/username/library/Application Support and zap the adium folder there and then in user/username/library/Preferences zap the com.adiumx.adiumx.plist.

Then reboot. See what happens. If you see nothing or no errors, reinstall Adium from the DMG and run it. You will have to set it back up. They does it still open when you log into OSX?

A lot of work but hey, it could work! :D

Also in user/username/library/preferences zap the com.apple.loginitems.plist and reboot.

All this is taking a shot in the dark but who knows, it might fix it for you.

OP
ninjaslim
Reaction score
So, it seems that Mac OS X is automatically regenerating the current com.apple.loginitems.plist. I removed it and then not only did AdiumX start upon login, but that the two applicaions listed in Login Items also started upon reboot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.