Harman Kardon soundsticks - suddenly not working!

Reaction score
Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II Not Working Quick Fix

Hi, I'm having problems with my soundsticks! They were working just fine, full volume and everything, and all I did was lift up the woofer part and tilted it to the side for a few seconds - and all the volume cut out!
I checked all the wires and inputs and everything was normal ...eventually some of the sound has returned but nowhere near full volume! I also checked the volume on the soundsticks, but can't get anymore volume out of it - the volume out of the woofer is definitely not what it should be. It used to be that when I plugged into my laptop the stereo reverb or whatever it is made a crackly sound - like it was working - when I plug into my laptop now, I get no such sound....i'm getting less than half of the capable stereo sound out of it!
:*
Has anyone experienced similar problems and know of any helpful hints? Can anyone help? THANK-YOU!

I've encountered this twice now and the period of time between each occurrence made me forget what the fix was. I apologize if this has been repeated elsewhere or if it's super obvious, but - even as these SoundSticks are works of art, they have some "hidden" aspects that are easy to lose track of especially if you "set and forget" them and control audio from your computer like I usually do.

1. It's easy to forget that the touch volume buttons on the right-hand speaker are very sensitive and do not "click" or press in with any tactile notification. So anyone moving one (cleaning woman, your kid looking for the key to the medicine cabinet, you accidentally etc.) can easily mute them simply by grazing the "-" button briefly.

2. (And this is the embarrassing one) I'm not sure if this is the same with the older models, but with the newer subwoofer (I have the II series with the black round speaker stands) There actually is a "power on" function on the same black plastic knob that turns up or down the subwoofer volume ON the actual Subwoofer. After plugging and unplugging all my connections several times, wiggling, fiddling, and getting ready to believe I had inadvertently fried the power amp with my intermittent, low-office--level volume streaming of Death Cab For Cutie - I somehow did NOT consult the manual or the online PDF manual but luckily had a hunch and pressed in the black plastic sub-volume knob and Voila - the light in the subwoofer came back on. Since I was trapped under my office desk with a flashlight and had all the other volume control sources up to about 9 (for troubleshooting, like you do) I then had to scramble out from under to quickly turn down the room-shaking Spotify stream that was now blaring at previously unprecedented volume in my office.

After that I remembered the same exact thing had happened a year ago and it is easy to nudge that button with your foot or a vacuum cleaner or a remote control car or a curious guinea pig etc. So again - sorry if this is a simplistic, obvious tip (I'm embarrassed even posting this as I've been an audiophile, musician, and DJ for some 30 years) but the lesson here is that sometimes, the elegant, simplest answer eludes some of us power-thinkers. :) If my embarrassment can help but one stranded listener, it will have been worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've had my soundsticks for 6 or 7 years (I think) with no problem other than the glue that holds both parts of the satellite speakers failing. They're now held together with a zip tie each but for the sound quality, price and length of time I've had them I can forgive that.

Mine are still alive and kicking. This thread is almost 8 years old now, so I've had them for at least that long. Might be pushing 10 years.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@radioscooter No need to cross post. That just adds confusion. I have deleted the post in the other thread.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mine are still alive and kicking. This thread is almost 8 years old now, so I've had them for at least that long. Might be pushing 10 years.

Believe it or not, the latest version of the Sound Sticks are still being sold. I saw a pair on sale at our local Navy Exchange (military base exchange) here in Fort Worth. I don't remember the price exactly but at the time it seemed like a great buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe it or not, the latest version of the Sound Sticks are still being sold. I saw a pair on sale at our local Navy Exchange (military base exchange) here in Fort Worth. I don't remember the price exactly but at the time it seemed like a great buy.

Oh I believe it. A year or so ago I was considering the bluetooth version of them to further de-cable my desk but couldn't justify the expense (currently running $230 on Amazon).

Reaction score
Radioscooter - YOU ARE MY HERO

2. (And this is the embarrassing one) I'm not sure if this is the same with the older models, but with the newer subwoofer (I have the II series with the black round speaker stands) There actually is a "power on" function on the same black plastic knob that turns up or down the subwoofer volume ON the actual Subwoofer. After plugging and unplugging all my connections several times, wiggling, fiddling, and getting ready to believe I had inadvertently fried the power amp with my intermittent, low-office--level volume streaming of Death Cab For Cutie - I somehow did NOT consult the manual or the online PDF manual but luckily had a hunch and pressed in the black plastic sub-volume knob and Voila - the light in the subwoofer came back on. Since I was trapped under my office desk with a flashlight and had all the other volume control sources up to about 9 (for troubleshooting, like you do) I then had to scramble out from under to quickly turn down the room-shaking Spotify stream that was now blaring at previously unprecedented volume in my office.

After that I remembered the same exact thing had happened a year ago and it is easy to nudge that button with your foot or a vacuum cleaner or a remote control car or a curious guinea pig etc. So again - sorry if this is a simplistic, obvious tip (I'm embarrassed even posting this as I've been an audiophile, musician, and DJ for some 30 years) but the lesson here is that sometimes, the elegant, simplest answer eludes some of us power-thinkers. :) If my embarrassment can help but one stranded listener, it will have been worth it.

OMG - you are my hero, after thinking I had killed these speakers as I had tried to vacuum out some fluff and debris - I was almost in tears.. then I read what you quoted above!!! I love you @Radioscooter!!!!!!! Your embarrassment has certainly helped out one stranded listener. (and I also love Death Cab for Cutie... "I will possess your heart" - extended version, insanely good!)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Radioscooter - YOU ARE MY HERO

OMG - you are my hero, after thinking I had killed these speakers as I had tried to vacuum out some fluff and debris - I was almost in tears.. then I read what you quoted above!!! I love you @Radioscooter!!!!!!! Your embarrassment has certainly helped out one stranded listener. (and I also love Death Cab for Cutie... "I will possess your heart" - extended version, insanely good!)
Apologizing for necromancing this thread, but I had to express myself:

Bloody ****... Just had the same experience: Was set to replace my speakers as they suddenly stopped working (after some vacuuming when I think back on it), but had a hard time deciding on which to get, as I really appreciated the sound quality on my SoundSticks Wireless (had the SoundSticks II earlier). I was looking for SoundSticks 4, but they are not available in Europe at the moment afaik.

Threw a hail Mary out on Google a couple of days after my predicament to see if there was a reset-button or something that I wasn't aware of, and then found this thread... Pushed the volume-button on the subwoofer and voilà.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Sometimes and old thread keeps on giving..... :)

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask of the forums.

Reaction score
I have the old (possibly original) soundsticks that have worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. The power light on the subwoofer shows, the cables are all ok but no sound. Output on the Macbook Pro shows SoundSticks and even tried a new USB - USB-C adaptor.

They have no volume buttons on the soundsticks and the bass volume doesn't press on/off.

Running out of ideas people - please help as they are cracking speakers!

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the old (possibly original) soundsticks that have worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. The power light on the subwoofer shows, the cables are all ok but no sound. Output on the Macbook Pro shows SoundSticks and even tried a new USB - USB-C adaptor.

They have no volume buttons on the soundsticks and the bass volume doesn't press on/off.

Running out of ideas people - please help as they are cracking speakers!

i trust you've double-checked all the cables to make sure the speakers are all connected to each other properly? Another obvious thing to check is the volume level (make sure you didn't accidentally mute your MacBook). Reboot your MacBook if you haven't already, and maybe even run the maintenance tools in Onyx for laughs. Otherwise, I can only suggest trying them with another computer to see if they work on that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The HK Sound Sticks are very popular. There are numerous trouble shooting and repair anecdotes that you can search out with google or your favorite search engine.

See what you can find and try some of the tips that are given.

sausage-charlie

Reaction score
Holy crap, 15 years later and this thread saved me. I had no idea the sub volume knob was also an on/off button. Accidentally pressed it with my foot and thought the speakers had finally gone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I never thought I would say this, but thank goodness for zombie threads.

I wish I had bought a set of those when they first came out.

JuneE

Reaction score
Same problem, it plays pefectly and then it stops for no apparent reason without touching anything and then after a short while it comes back on!... any ideas gratefully received.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
When it comes to sound systems intermittent sound; going from on to off (no sound at all) is almost always connection related.
If they are cable connections then the cable or connectors are faulty. Corroded, loose or broken connectors are often the problem. It's why most good hi-fi systems use bare wire connections. Try tracing them from the source to the speaker wiggling, unplugging and plugging them back in.
If they are Bluetooth that's a different kettle of fish. Check power supply and settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.