Connecting to HD TV via HDMI

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to Macs, have a Mac Mini, and attached it to my TV. I want to feed the TV with an HDMI cable, but am having trouble getting good output:

1) On the System Preferences - Display, it recognizes my TV (provides the TV's name), and gives a list of resolutions to use.
2) If I choose resolutions like 1366x768 (TV recommended) or 1280x720 (720p) I get a smooth picture of the desktop/fonts but the image is always hazy and purple (and Color Calibration doesn't help at all). This happens on all 'progressive' scanned resolutions
3) The 1080i resolution (1920x1080 (interlaced) ) looks great. I get high contrast, sharp pictures, colors are proper, movies look awesome. But the desktop, normal sized text, and the pointer are jagged and make reading the screen impossible (when not looking at a media center application).

I looked around the forums, and I saw suggestions to set the 'text smoothing' to a high value to prevent jaggedness. I moved it to 12, the highest value, and it didn't help. I tried setting the default font to the largest possible for things like Finder, etc... but the largest it goes is 16pt, and the jaggedness still remains.

The TV specs say it accepts 720p and 1080i.

Any suggestions on how to smooth out fonts (and/or make them larger than 16pt) for the 1080i resolution or get rid of the purple haze for the other resolutions?

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue

I've been trying to connect my 27in westinghouse lcd to my macbook and have had the same purple screen or illegible text problems. If anyone has a fix or another solution I would also greatly appreciate some help!

I've tried the mini-dvi to hdmi connector then an hdmi cable into the tv, and I've tried mini-dvi to dvi then dvi to hdmi into the tv. Both gave the same problems stevejluke has been having.

Is VGA the only other alternative?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.