2 usb ports dont work

Reaction score
I have an Apple ibook G4 but the 2 usb ports dont work. It has a firewire port.

The guys at the mac repair shop told me id need to replace the whole motherboard for $1k.

Can I buy a firewire adaptor and use that as a usb port instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*

The guys at the mac repair shop told me id need to replace the whole motherboard for $1k.

1k for an ibook logic?!!??!! Okay try this first. Power down ibook. Now restart ibook holding O,F,option,command(apple key is command) until you reach a white screen. You will be prompted to release keys at this point. Type in these simple commands and should repair ports. reset-nvram press enter it should follow up with ok, then type reset-all press enter, your computer will automatically restart at this point. Try usb connection and all should be fine. If not then yes pick up a usb hub with a firewire connection and you are under way. Hope this will help.

Reaction score

No you can't. Firewire and USB are whole different interface. Yeah, try resetting the PRAM. Wow, 1k for the logic board only. You better get a brand new MacBook for $999 at the Apple Store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.