Calculator in Spotlight?... It used to work, but not anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I used to be able to perform calculations using my Spotlight search. Now, however, I have to open Calculator to do even the simplest equation, which is really annoying, since I am used to using Spotlight. It has been like this for about a month now. I can still do dictionary definitions in Spotlight, just not calculator functions. Do you think something like Font Finagler would help me solve my problem? It helped me fix a problem with Sibelius 5.2.5.

Any help would be great - thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I just tried it and the calculator works on my macbook.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
It used to work, but it hasn't for about a month. I don't know what happened. I need help for fixing this problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you move the Calculator.app file out of the Applications folder?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, Calculator.app is still in /Applications.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard, and Spotlight still won't be a calculator. This only happened in my Admin account, not in other Admins.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try this, fire up the terminal in your account and type:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.spotlight CalculationEnabled YES

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried that and it didn't work.... unless I have to restart? I also typed in "killall spotlight" and Terminal said that no matching processes belonging to me were found.

It works in all of my other accounts. I have three admins and a Guest. I also checked in my /System/Library/LaunchAgents and /System/Library/LaunchDaemons folders, and there is no "com.apple.spotlight" file, not even with a ".plist" extension.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Restarted And It Works! Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.