bad hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20" 2.4ghz core 2, 4gb, 1T
I am very new to macs and could really use some help. After much research, I have come to the conclusion that my imac ('07 or '08) has had a hard drive failure. I have tried all of the tricks and still nothing, won't start up. It also has the start up disc stuck inside (one of the fixes that didn't work) No warranty. I am very comfortable replacing the HD myself, but it is all the other stuff I need help with.

First, which hard drive to buy? I might as well get a big one (750g or 1t) and I want it to last more than 2 yrs. Which brand, size, speed, etc, is compatible w/imacs? Reliability is key.

Second, after I replace the HD, how do I get the start up disc out? Or do I even need to? How do I get my OS on this new HD? How do I get all of my stuff off my external HD? I used time machine but don't really understand how it works.

Sorry I am so ignorant. I am very good at the electronics stuff, but clueless on the making-everything-work-again part. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Brenda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
I am very new to macs and could really use some help. After much research, I have come to the conclusion that my imac ('07 or '08) has had a hard drive failure. I have tried all of the tricks and still nothing, won't start up. It also has the start up disc stuck inside (one of the fixes that didn't work) No warranty. I am very comfortable replacing the HD myself, but it is all the other stuff I need help with.

First, which hard drive to buy? I might as well get a big one (750g or 1t) and I want it to last more than 2 yrs. Which brand, size, speed, etc, is compatible w/imacs? Reliability is key.

Second, after I replace the HD, how do I get the start up disc out? Or do I even need to? How do I get my OS on this new HD? How do I get all of my stuff off my external HD? I used time machine but don't really understand how it works.

Sorry I am so ignorant. I am very good at the electronics stuff, but clueless on the making-everything-work-again part. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Brenda

Okay brand of HD probably will not matter. Size will be 3.5 and speed should be no less than 7200 rpm. Last you can remove disk now. Start up the mac holding down the eject button on the keyboard, be patient in holding the eject button as this may take about a minute. As for after new drive install, just insert disk after start up and if the computer does just start up from disk, restart computer holding option, you will be given the option at this point to choose start up, either HD or disk. Oh and not ignorant that is harsh, just NEW an ignorant person would not choose a Mac!!! Hope this will help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

How to remove disk stuck in drive after normal methods fail: Link

As far as replacing a hard drive in your iMac is concerned, have you looked at instructions which guide you on how to do it? Hard drive replacement in an iMac requires disassembling the display, so make certain you're really comfortable with doing the job yourself.

I prefer Western Digital drives but many folks here also like Seagate. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both now come with a 5 year warranty.

Check out this Link for instructions on how to replace the drive in your imac.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
No need to remove the install DVD. Once you've replaced the HD, startup holding down the 'C' key, the DVD will boot. Select English if that's what you want, then go to the utilities menu and select Disk Utility. Select Erase, name the HD, default was Macintosh HD, and erase. Select restore from Time Machine backup, plug in your external drive, turn on if mains powered, and follow instructions. Then be thankful you backed up.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I have easily and successfully replaced the hard drive in the IMAC. That was the easy part. I can't get anything to happen when I power it up. Nothing but a white screen and some spooling up noises. Keep in mind, my start up disc is still inside. PLEASE HELP ME!! What do I do to get past this dreaded blank white screen?

Brenda

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I got everything booted up and working fine on my new hard drive, NOW IT IS DOING THE SAME THING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Stuck on the white screen after working fine for 2 weeks. Can't get it to do anything! All I was doing was surfing the internet and over the last 4 days the grey box would come up telling me I needed to restart my computer. I did this, several times over the last 4 days, now nothing.

This is getting old, I bought a Mac thinking I would get rid of the computer failure headaches. This is not the case and I am very frustrated.

Is my new Western Digital HD bad? After 2 weeks? What am I doing wrong? Please help before I throw this paper weight off a cliff!!

Brenda

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you may have encountered what's known as "kernel panic" but I'm not sure from your description. Take a look here and let us know if that is what happened. Link

Also, I'm assuming that now the machine will not boot at all?

BTW, I rather doubt your new WD hard drive is defective although it certainly is possible. Anyway, post back and we can go from there.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess this ^^^ is what happened. As I have been on the internet during the past week, it will give me the "need to restart" message in the grey box, then the screen will go grey from the top down. When this has happened, I wasn't watching any videos or anything. Just looking at forums like this one.

One time after the grey box, it wouldn't turn on, so I did the command, option, P,R and it worked ok for a day or so. I did a software update check and updated whatever it was I needed. OSX 10.5.7 is what I think I have. It kept doing it and I eventually unplugged everything but the keyboard and mouse. I put in disc 2 in hopes of running a hardware test, but the computer won't do anything past the white screen....and disc 2 is stuck inside. What do I do now?

Thanks for all your help, BTW

Brenda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
press the power button and hold down the left mouse key and it will eject the disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If it is still under warranty i would be sending it in to a certified apple repairer. They have better diagnostic tests to run thru to isolate the issue. Even if it is not under warranty i would do the same - my brothers imac had new logic board at 14 months, 2 months after warranty ended - no cost to him.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mouse trick doesn't work. Bought this in early '07 so I am screwed if I can't fix it myself. I live in a very rural area so taking it somewhere isn't an option right now. There are enough very smart and experienced people on this board, I just need the right one to respond! I replaced the HD which was a piece of cake, what's next?

Brenda

Reaction score
I say go for a 1 TB. Then, buy a 4 TB external. That should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.