Printing to Windows Printers on a Domain

Reaction score
Hi,

Please help if you can.

I'm a net admin at a school.

The Setup

We're running a Mac Lab of iMacs running 10.5.6 joined to a Windows Server 2003 domain. The idea is to give students an taste of what Mac has to offer and to skill them up in this area. I'm not a Mac user myself (yet) so this is quite a challenge for me.

All print jobs must be run through a Windows print server where our print monitoring software runs; the users must be authenticated on the domain.

The Problem

I have managed to get the printers connected in Mac OS, but when a student tries to print, they're prompted to authenticate.

The problem is that the username field is pre-populated with their Realname not their username. E.g. John Smith not j.smith

This is confusing for many students.

Is there a way to force MacOS to use the username (SAMID in Active Directory) instead of the Realname (Displayname in Active Directory).

Is this something to do with LDAPv3 attribute mappings?

Note:
Tried altering Active Directory's Displayname, but this had adverse affects on Exchange.

Any direction you could provide would be welcome.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.