Just pulled the trigger...

Reaction score
After researching, hemming and hawing for the better part of four months, I just placed my order for a refurb 2.0 unibody macbook. What's even better, the refurb macs work with the printer rebate, so instead of a macbook for 1166 w/tax, by the time I get the rebate and sell the printer on eBay, I'm probably looking at a macbook for a little less that 1100 bucks. Not bad.

Anyway, I'll update this thread as I get the 'book and begin using it. I'll especially be happy to report on refurb quality, since that seems to be a perennial question around here.

Cheers!

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay, I got the MacBook in the mail yesterday, and it is gorgeous! Took me a little while to figure out where to put my iTunes files from my PC (used a usb stick), but once I got that figured out, it was smooth sailing. Even got WoW downloaded and running smoothly at high detail. I love this computer!

The only downside I discovered this morning is that the battery cover panel is slightly (VERY slightly bowed on the right front side. You can't see it, but if you run your hand across the lower front of the computer, you can feel it poking out a bit. I think I'll run to the apple store sometime in the next few days and see about getting a replacement panel. Honestly, it's so minor I might not even bother, but then, it is brand new.

Beyond that, this computer is flawless and fast. I can't see the slightest difference between a new and a refurb. Really quality from top to bottom. I'm sure I'll post some questions in this thread as things progress, but for now, I'm just very happy to be a switcher. This machine rocks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Awesome! You're gonna love it. And yeah, see if you can get a replacement panel while you're still under warranty.

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay, first official question:

Is there a way to combine items on the dock into a single object that will stack when you mouse over it? i.e. if I want to have three browsers available on my dock, can I put them all three in a dock folder/item labeled "internet browsers" or something like that?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You can create a stack out of any folder that you want, including a folder of app aliases. Just drag the folder into the dock.

If you mean you want to be able to switch between multiple browser windows, use Command-tilde to cycle through them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Once you add the folder to the Right Side of the Dock, Right Click on it and you can change the way it displays when you click on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Or you go in here and get serious about Tinkering. Good plan to have a back up first before you get too carried away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Refurb Mackbook
I got fed up when my 3rd pc in two years crapped out. I pull the trigger on a refurb 2.4Ghz Macbook. It was an impulse buy. I haven't used a Mac since high school but while playing with one at best buy I kinda sold myself on a mac. I will post when it arrives.

OP
M
Reaction score
New question:

In our home, we have a Dell printer hooked up to a PC in our basement, which in turn is on our wireless network that includes my old PC, my wife's PC, and now my MacBook. Is it possible to get my MacBook to recognize and use this printer as-is? Or will I need to rejigger things a bit? Or will the Mac and PCs just not get along?

OP
M
Reaction score
So I called Apple and asked them about the bent battery cover. After a ten minute conversation, they had it in the mail, overnighted to me in less than 24 hours. What a freakin' change compared to the Dell customer service I've been putting up with for the last six years!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
New question:

In our home, we have a Dell printer hooked up to a PC in our basement, which in turn is on our wireless network that includes my old PC, my wife's PC, and now my MacBook. Is it possible to get my MacBook to recognize and use this printer as-is? Or will I need to rejigger things a bit? Or will the Mac and PCs just not get along?

I know you can get PC's to recognize a printer connected to a mac on a network no problem. I haven't tried the other way around, unfortunately. You might have to change a couple system preference settings, but I think it should work, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.