USB Hub choosing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently dying macbook pro.
Hi there,

I want to get a USB hub, as I seem to now be swapping things in and out on my macbook pro - and also I'm considering getting an Air, which only has the one port I believe.

Anyway, I'd really like to get one as small as possible - there are some great tiny ones I've seen, but one of the things I plug into the USB is a USB modem, and another is my iPhone... and I suspect that a mini hub wouldn't have enough power to run the former and sync/charge the latter. Is this right? Would I need to get a hub with an independent power source?

If so, any advice for a good but very small one that I can carry around?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I have a very small unpowered 4 port hub that I run two 1.5 TB Hard Drives off of, a printer, and use it to sync/charge my iPod. Everything but the iPod has it's own power source, so all the USB cable is used for it data. If most of the devices you are plugging in have their own source of power, it won't matter if the hub is powered or not. I am sure it will have plenty of power to charge your iPhone.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds promising... but then why can't I charge or sync my iPhone from the USB port in my keyboard?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And what about the USB modem? Would that still work in the hub?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I wouldn't split anything like a usb modem with a hub. It can still work, but dont expect it to function the same. Same thing when you have an iphone and something else that can be detected once plugged in...it will connect and disconnect it all the time. I usually put the most important ones on the computer, and split everything else like printer/light/etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Reaction score
I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Cyberpower battery powered USB2 4-port hub. It is a little beauty! Rechargeable AAA batteries are used. Ideal for use with either desktop or portable computers.

The unit I'm mentioning is viewable here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/118588-may-i-introduce.html.

Hey,

I recommend to buy a powered usb hub. You will never know what gadget you will buy in your next step. As I know, Macbook Air only has one usb port and powerless in that port....sadly....
So if you wanna plug in printer, iphone, and some other stuff at the same time. It wouldn't be working fine, one or either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.