Cleaning tips??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
Okay so I"ma pretty experienced Mac user...but I've come to see that my G4 is running really slooooowwww all of a sudden. It's a 867 mhzt and 256 RAM.

It's only happened in the last couple of days and I haven't really done anything different in this time, dont' have any more downloaded stuff than usual. What I've done so far is repair the disk permissions....because it's the only thing that I can find in the utilities folder that looks promising. Is doing this akin to defragging?? I noticed there's not really a spot for a defrag on here....any other info on how to clean up and speed up would be great.

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
You know I actually noticed a huge decrease in speed on my iMac 800mhz G4. But I figured it was because of 10.3.5 and up.. 10.3.7 was extremely slow, but 10.3.8 is a little better. Thats what Ive noticed anyway.

DiskWarrior defrags a mac.. not sure how helpful it is, I havn't really noticed much improvement. I also think it requires 10.2ish..

Other than that, I guess check your activity monitor and see what is taking the most cycles.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
Graphite said:
You know I actually noticed a huge decrease in speed on my iMac 800mhz G4. But I figured it was because of 10.3.5 and up.. 10.3.7 was extremely slow, but 10.3.8 is a little better. Thats what Ive noticed anyway.

I'm still using 10.2.8....nothing has changed there...

Other than that, I guess check your activity monitor and see what is taking the most cycles.

Where is this located?? I checked in the system profiler but its not there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
huffstar said:
Where is this located?? I checked in the system profiler but its not there...

The Activity Monitor is located in your Utilities folder. It shows you detailed information about CPU-, RAM-, disk- and network usage.

I would suggest also to upgrade your memory...256MB really is the bare minimum for OS X. Get an additional 512MB Stick, or even two if you can afford it, and you'll get quite a speed bump.

Just recently I've played around with two Mac mini's, both were the same 1.25GHz model, just one with 1GB and the other with the stock 256MB...it was a huge difference!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
huffstar said:
What I've done so far is repair the disk permissions....because it's the only thing that I can find in the utilities folder that looks promising.

I would also suggest running OS X's maintenance scripts. There are a number of free downloadable applications that will allow you to do this very easily. Some only work with certain versions of OS X (for instance, I use Maintenance, which is 10.3.x only) but MacJanitor is also nice and will work with all versions of OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.