codec problems

Reaction score
Hi, i am having nothing but sleepless nights sitting up till the wee small hours trying to figure out how to get a codec for an 'ms' file? i downloaded the f1 grand prix and I get pic but no sound... its in AVI format and when i open in quick time pro and request info it says the format is 'ms'. some where i read that you had to get a codec for this and place it in your /library/quicktime/ but that file doesnt exist on my HD either... pulling my hair out, please help!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have you tried any other programs besides QuickTime. IE VLC?

OP
J
Reaction score
Have you tried any other programs besides QuickTime. IE VLC?

no... ill be honest I dont really know what Im doing... and this whole thing seems like a minefield! All i know if that i have downloaded the f1 grand prix in something with a quicktime logo but its says AVI under it, and when i try to watch it there is no sound. Also I want to convert the same file to a format that i can play on itunes (apple tv) but dont know how to do that either... i look it up and some one says use QT pro... others say use handbrake, i really dont know what the difference is... i tried converting a different file with QT pro and the outcome was the picture quality was worsened and pixelated... please help!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Download Perian for OSX and also Flip4Mac.

Install them and see if that works for you.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks alot... do I have to do anything special or I just downlaod perian then double click on the file I want to watch and the sound sshould now be played? will its still pay through QTpro or will it now be played through perian?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Perian and Flip4Mac are both Codecs. You have to install them. Then try the AVI in Quicktime. If you have trouble installing let us know.

Perian is in a DMG Disc Image. Just double click and the image will mount on your desktop and open. Click on the Perian PreferencePane and it will ask you if you want it installed. After that just close the window and throw the mounted DMG in the trash and it will unmount.

Reaction score
I've had some varying mileage with Flip4Mac and VLC. Some work for some links, some for others. I blame the bad setup of some servers. If you can post me the link you are having trouble with, I can tell you exactly what to do (after I test it). I'm a new Mac user too, but I figure this community is more helpful on the whole :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.