24" Aluminum iMac Won't Start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I have a 24" Aluminum iMac that just won't boot up. When I turn it on it makes the deep noise it always does, and then it stays at the grey screen without ever showing the dark grey apple.

I tried to boot from my leopard disk by holding down 'C' key at bootup and this doesn't work either.

The only thing I have plugged in is an apple keyboard and mouse and power cord.

Are there any other things I can do short of taking it to an apple store?

Thanks for any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the PRAM and NVRAM. See the following Apple KB article: Link

Afterward, try rebooting from your Leopard disk again. If you can successfully boot with the Leopard DVD, run the Apple Hardware Test.

Regards.

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I reset the PRAM and NVRAM from the link you posted.

I tried again to boot from the CD. It didn't work.

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried bootimg in safe mode with the shift key held down and it got a little farther this time. its sitting on the grey screen with the grey apple right now reading the leopard DVD for quite some time now...

Is there anything I can do at this screen?

Reaction score
This sounds very similar to what happened to my iMac just a couple of weeks ago. Tried everything there was to try. Nothing worked. Eventually called Applecare, who came and took it away. Faulty HDD. Asked for my old HDD back to recover data. Returned old HDD back to Apple. They installed new HDD. Quickly bought 1TB external and setup Time Machine :D

If you have another Mac, try Target Disk Mode. See if you can retrieve you files first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.