iMac G5 problems?

C

code777

what are the known iMac G5 problems? Again i was at the apple store today picking up some odds and ends for my "new" iMac when I overheard the guys at the bar talking about replacing a "mid-plane assembly" for an irate customer. I just heard them say the guy just bought it 4 months ago and its having a slight display problem or something. When I went up to them to ask them about the issue they both clammed up and kinda just brushed me off. So i did not pursue.

But I am curious are there known issues with the new iMac?

OP
F

flyingpostman

From what i've read online, the midplane assembly has something to do with the noise of the fans.

OP
C

code777

It seemed like it had something to do with the LCD because they said the guy was screaming that a computer he bought in October 2004 should not behave like this. And I agree!!!!!

OP
M

mMmApples

I boughty my iMac about two and a half months ago, and I have done nothing but love it the whole time. I've had no problems, not crashed once and am finding new reasons to never buy a PC again everyday!

OP
C

code777

very good to hear! i love my imac g5 as well, NEVER going back to the Windows box.

OP
K

kabwon

mine is going in 2mo for a check, **** thing just restarts.... maybe il lget a new one :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I've had mine for about a month and a half and have NO problems whatsoever. It has never crashed, it never makes any rude noises, and performs more reliably than any other computer I've owned.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Imac G5

bassplayrr said:
I've had mine for about a month and a half and have NO problems whatsoever. It has never crashed, it never makes any rude noises, and performs more reliably than any other computer I've owned.

-Chris

Hi

i got my iMac g5 in november easily best computer i have ever owned
to such an extent because i love it so much - we are getting married next week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have had mine for about 2 months with no problems. I had a bad bluetooth keyboard when I got it but that was not the computers fault and easily replaced. Thought I was having problems the other day with the SuperDrive but it just turned out to be a corrupt video file

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
No problems here either. It's running smooth as a babies' bum.

OP
M

mMmApples

I also had to replace a bluetooth keyboard, i may or may not have spilled beer on it :closed: nonetheless, as you said not the computers fault and it was replaced free of charge.

mMmApples :D

OP
C

code777

ahhh thanks, very re-assuring. but i'm curious what happened to that guy's LCD or "mid-plane" assembly or whatever...

OP
D

Danster

code777 said:
It seemed like it had something to do with the LCD because they said the guy was screaming that a computer he bought in October 2004 should not behave like this. And I agree!!!!!

I bought mine in October :confused: but I haven't had any problems with the computer but I'v just reinstalled Panther and upped the RAM.

Now it's on fire WooHoo :spook:

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have been without my iMac for 2 weeks now and it's only six weeks old. There is a piercing high pitched whine coming from a suspect power supply. Hopefully the part will be in soon and hopefully it is the power supply.

I miss my iMac.

OP
K

kabwon

bleh, took mine to the apple store today, they couldnt find any problems with hardwdare, must be software they say. will have to reinstall and see what happens.

Reaction score
I had my iMac G5 for a week and then one day it wouldn't turn on. Totally dead so I took it back to the shop and it took them a week and a half to fix it :mad: anyway it was the power supply which is apparently a common problem with countries that have 220-volts :radioacti

It now works fine apart from the unresponsive power on button which I always have to press twice in order to get it to work, strange. Started a thread about it to ask if anyone else has had the same problem but got no replies, thanks for that :mad:

Anyway, apart from all this it's a great computer, works really well and I'm enjoying it very much. :cool:

I have read about the screen problem, apparently some people have had faulty screens that go half dark, I think this was an early model issue and has been solved. Other problems have been the erratic fans thing and the power supplies.

OP
C

code777

yeah was just at another Apple Store this past weekend and boy was it packed, everyone wants an iPod! Some custom mac minis in there as well (BT and 512MB RAM) but as i was hanging around one guy brought back his iMac G5 for "fan issues" and boy the guy was steaming mad! With his kids mind you!

I guess my fan is sometimes a bit loud but its nothing i care about really, i'm just reading a few things regarding the display...

Reaction score
I like your user pic code777 it's really cool. :cool:

Have you got the latest Mac OSX update 10.3.8. It was suppose to have an update for the fans in it. Haven't noticed much difference myself but then I'm also not bothered by a bit of fan noise as it's nothing compared to my old iMac 333. That got so annoying that I replaced the fan to one with a heat sensor and it still makes more noise than my imac G5. I just turn the music up. :cool:

Reaction score
only thing i found wrong with mine were the fans... when the machine has a lot open, then fans make a high pitched sqeual kind of thing.... but it's kind of quite. i jsut ran teh hard ware test and it roared the fans up VERY loud.. sounded like a plane taking off. i think it got the fans used to spinning adn the squealing stopped... try it if u have the same problem

Reaction score
Yes, the fans run at full speed when booted from the Hardware test CD, I've heard that this is because they are software controlled and the Hardware CD doesn't include the software for them. It's very loud isn't it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.