iMac G5 problems?

OP
I

i love macs

iWhat said:
Maybe the temperature is low in the lab. My mom always keeps it cool during the winter months in the house, so my iMac G5's fan never comes on.

not the case in this lab. its still summer in nz and no airconditioning cos uni being cheap. but maybe i just dont notice the noise-im used to my powerbooks fan being on

OP
P

panther

I bought it almost 5 months ago, since then it's running 24 hours with out any problem.

OP
C

code777

glad to hear ^^^^^^^^

well my fan does go faster when i'm doing video editing or any webpage that has moving graphics and stuff. But then it slows down after a few seconds but speeds up after a few seconds... so i can see how this *could* be annoying to some but for me I guess I'm use to it.

Just as long as it doesn't go FULL BLAST like when you put in the hardware test CD...

OP
B

bostlaw

My 20" G5 croaked after 2 months...dead power supply...tech told me that I smoked too much...(thanks)...and THAT was the cause of the problem...I suppose it's possible...but I kinda think there have been a lot of power supplies dying without the benefit of second hand smoke...

Reaction score
Doubt if it had anything to do with smoking, I had a bad power supply as well but the man in the shop thought that it was the motherboard, so both were replaced in the end. :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
code777 said:
what are the known iMac G5 problems? Again i was at the apple store today picking up some odds and ends for my "new" iMac when I overheard the guys at the bar talking about replacing a "mid-plane assembly" for an irate customer. I just heard them say the guy just bought it 4 months ago and its having a slight display problem or something. When I went up to them to ask them about the issue they both clammed up and kinda just brushed me off. So i did not pursue.

But I am curious are there known issues with the new iMac?
Sorry if this is a silly question but im new to mac. What's a "mid plane assembly".

OP
A

Apollo_Racer

My girlfriend has an iMac G3, and for the longest time it was plugged into an outlet that wasn't the best at holding the plugs. Any slight movement would cause the computer to lose the power. I replaced the outlet, so that problem's solved. Except now her iMac restarts at erratic times. Could there be something wrong with the power supply or could there be other problems? If it is the PS, where would I get a replacement?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.