Macbook doesn't go to sleep when I close the top of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB
I got my Macbook back from the Apple Store about 2 hours ago. It was suffering from the hairline crack issues. Before I took it to the Apple store it worked flawlessly. Now when I close the top of the computer, it doesn't go to sleep. The large Apple on the back of the monitor stays on and the sleep indicator light doesn't come on.

Do anyone know of a fiz to this problem?

I can put the computer to sleep by using the Apple menu or the Power button.

Reaction score
There is a setting for that! This is my 4th day of using a mac. I think I saw it on the display setting or power management. You'll have to tell it what to do when the lid is closed. Look around system prefrence.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I know. But nothing happens. It doesn't go to sleep at all by itself.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
well when you figure out what is causing it to NOT go to sleep, let me know.

i've been looking for a way to be able to close the lid and have it NOT go into sleep mode for a while now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it worked perfectly before you took it into Apple to repair the crack, I wonder if they dislodged the Magnet that closes the Reed Switch and puts the MB into Sleep when the lid is closed? I know for sure the iBook worked that way. I would take it back and make them fix it since it did work before they messed with it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it worked perfectly before you took it into Apple to repair the crack, I wonder if they dislodged the Magnet that closes the Reed Switch and puts the MB into Sleep when the lid is closed? I know for sure the iBook worked that way. I would take it back and make them fix it since it did work before they messed with it.

Yeah, That's what I'm going to do. I made my appointment yesterday online. It just really makes me mad because the Apple Store is 36 miles from where I live and now I am going to have to be late to work.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well here is the update to my little problem. First I called Apple this morning and they gave me case number and told me to take it back to the Apple store. I did that and in less than 10 minutes my macbook was fixed. They told me that the magnet needed realigned.

I have one other question though which might be dumb..but here it is: When I set the macbook to go to sleep via Energy Saver, the display goes asleep and the large apple icon on the back of the display goes off, however the sleep indicator light just stays on. Isn't it suppose to get dim and bright like it does when I close the lid, use the apple menu to go to sleep or use the power button to put it to sleep? Or is that normal?

The settings in the Energy Saver Screen for battery options is 1 minute the screen goes asleep and in 5 minutes the computer is suppose to go asleep. The display goes to sleep and the large apple on the back of the monitor display goes off, however, the light near the IR in the front of the computer stays on. It doesn't get dim, then bright. Is this normal?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Even if you let it sit the light stays on? Every after 10 minutes or more?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if you let it sit the light stays on? Every after 10 minutes or more?

I am going to set till 10 minutes and see what happens. So is the light suppose to pulsate after inactivity with the lid open?

I called Apple and was told that this is expected behavior. She said when the lid is open the sleep does not pulstate. She said the only thing that is suppose to happen when the lid is open and there have been no activity is that the display should go to sleep and the sleep light should come on but not pulsate.

She said that she has an iMac and when there is no activity on it, the screen goes to sleep and the sleep light comes on and stays on but do not pulstate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.