how can I test the power supply and/or logic board on Power Mac

Reaction score
im new to apple desktops. i acquired a dual 1.8ghz desktop barebones. either the power supply is bad or the logic board is bad. i see no LEDs on logic board. there are no drives or memory installed yet. i plug in the power cable and the power supply makes a click, no fans (on power supple or case) come on and no LEDs light up. can someone tell me how to test the power supply and/or logic board to see if one or both are bad?

thx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
im new to apple desktops. i acquired a dual 1.8ghz desktop barebones. either the power supply is bad or the logic board is bad. i see no LEDs on logic board. there are no drives or memory installed yet. i plug in the power cable and the power supply makes a click, no fans (on power supple or case) come on and no LEDs light up. can someone tell me how to test the power supply and/or logic board to see if one or both are bad?

thx!

I would strongly suggest install of ram and hd first. I know that the computer will function improperly with no ram. Still, best test will be with all components installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66 GHz, Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, Powermac G4 867 GHz
Is it a Powermac G5? I know the PowerMac G4 and intel Mac Mini would beep if it didn't have ram installed.
Recently I acquired a powermac g4 and I have the same problem you do. I was fortunate enough to find an apple troubleshooting guide and with the aid of a voltmeter I was able to determine that the power supply is dead. Here's hoping that when the replacement arrives the system will at least power up to beep at me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I would carefully remove the black plastic cover over the power supply connector on the logic board, and check each pin with a DVM for a +5V trickle voltage. No +5V trickle indicates a dead PSU.

OP
N
Reaction score
G5

hi all,

sorry, it is a G5 mac. i will test the psu at the plug as suggested. i appreciated the input :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.