Microsoft Office 2008

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Having tussled with Office 04 for a few years when iWork 08 arrived i changed to that and put up with the odd missing feature. iWork 09 now has all i need and being able to export in Microsoft readable files for non Mac users means that Numbers and Pages are just what i need - things done more quickly without the agro. No more hunting thru a really strange menu system of Excel - works for me. Spent some time tossing all the Microsoft build up from my HD and got some good space back.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 120 GB hard drive
As posted earlier depends what you want to use it for. If you are going to college on uni, suggest Office 2008 to be readily recognised by lecturers who may only accept work submitted in MS Word.

As a suggestion go over the the Mactopia web site and download a trial version of Office 2008 for Mac which was made available in the last week or so and see what you think of it:-

Try Office 2008 for Mac from Microsoft for Free | Mactopia

If your demands are not great, also try downloading the free versions mentioned here.

Thank you. I'll consider this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Macintosh G3 Series - PowerPC 750 (2.2) - 400 MHz - 640 MB - Bus Speed: 100 MHz
I have been using MS Office since it's inception and an while I will not knock MS Office I will say that over the years I have become very disappointed with it's operation and performance not to mention price and support. I have used both platforms (PC/Mac) and gone thru most if not all of the upgrades, new revisions and security patches over several years -- I, no longer sing Microsoft's praises. Now, with that said I have to say I am a big fan of NeoOffice as opposed to OpenOffice with relies on "X11" I have yet to find something that MS Office can do that NeoOffice can not. Go on and give NeoOffice a shot -- like someone said earlier it's free:)

Main Page - NeoWiki

NeoOffice 3.0 Feature Comparison - NeoWiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Wish I had seen this thread before I wasted everyones time with a thraed about how I just found neo office and love it !

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Now, with that said I have to say I am a big fan of NeoOffice as opposed to OpenOffice with relies on "X11"

Since version 3, OpenOffice is now native, there's no need for X11. While I have not used NeoOffice recently, I find OpenOffice 3 to be faster to open and to use in general. If you haven't tried it in awhile, I'd recommend it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.