2nd startup disk asking for name & password, but it was never setup

Reaction score
I have 2 startup disks in my Mac Pro Intel. One running 10.5.5 and one running 10.4.11.

I tried to startup using the 10.4 drive (which I've done many times in the past) and I got the gray screen once it opened and it crashed. Now when I try to startup using the 10.4 drive, it asks for a name and password, which it never has done before. I put in my normal name and password and it doesn't accept it. I ran Disk Utility and Disk Warrior, and neither has made any difference.

I tried resetting the password using the install disks, but it says there is no user for this disk, so there is no password to reset.

Any suggestions as to how I can get around the name and password so I can use the 10.4 drive?
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you may have a firmware problem with the Tiger drive. I would try reinstalling Tiger on the drive if possible. That may or may not work.

As long as you haven't set a firmware password for the machine, or a user password for the Tiger HD you shouldn't be receiving a log on message requesting name and password.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Still got the Tiger disks? If so boot, run Repair Disk and do a clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Drat chscag you beat me by one minute! Still I guess the advice is the same!!

OP
S
Reaction score
I do have the Tiger disks, but I was hoping to not have to wipe the info from the drive.
"As long as you haven't set a firmware password for the machine, or a user password for the Tiger HD you shouldn't be receiving a log on message requesting name and password"

I know I "shouldn't get a log on message" but I am unfortunately. If there a way to bypass the log in message?

OP
S
Reaction score
If it's a firmware issue, what are my options exactly?
Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.