Replaced the hard drive with a 500

Reaction score
OK so I have replaced the hard drive on my mac book pro I did a a 35 pass erase free disc space and smasdhed the old hard drive to smitherines and put different parts in different bins. Is there any way anything can be found out on my macbook pro from when I was using the old hard drive? And I mean ANYTHING?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only data is on the hard drive. You broke it into many pieces and scattered it all over town. No, there is nothing left! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wow! Talk about being paranoid. :) What did you have on your hard drive anyway - the latest atomic secrets?

Your data is safe from prying eyes. :Smirk:

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you a spy or something? Paranoia is an understatement ;).

Doing a 7 pass erase meets DoD specifiations as stated here. Doing a 35 pass erase, smashing the HD into pieces and then distributing the pieces in different bins is extreme. If someone was able to somehow track down all the pieces, magically reassemble the HD and undo the 35 pass erase, they deserve a medal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you a spy or something? Paranoia is an understatement ;).

Doing a 7 pass erase meets DoD specifiations as stated here. Doing a 35 pass erase, smashing the HD into pieces and then distributing the pieces in different bins is extreme. If someone was able to somehow track down all the pieces, magically reassemble the HD and undo the 35 pass erase, they deserve a medal.

Maybe we should offer a Mac Forums award of some kind to anyone who can do the above! :D I would be very impressed!

OP
G
Reaction score
lol I guess it is a bit paranoid. But good to hear that It is non recoverable

Thanks for all your reassurance :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.