Accessing the Root account

Reaction score
Using my admin account, I'm not able to backup files in my wife's home directory. I decided to enable the Root account and use it each time I do my weekly backup. I've gone into NetInfomanager and enabled it, but when I log out, I don't see the "other" account that I've read I'm supposed to. It seems pretty straight forward; am I just missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
did you log out of root after you were done? what are your macs specs?

OP
C
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. As far as I can tell, I was never logged into Root; I simply enabled it. I have never been able to get to a login screen that would allow me to log into Root. I cant really imagine there's a problem with my Mac. I presume it's just me treadding in foreign waters.

Dual 2.0 Ghz G5
1.5 Ghz RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
try giong to system preferences>accounts>and see if your wifes account is listed and what limitations, if any, there are to that account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
System Prefs >> Account is where youll find a checkbox for listing user names and having a blank to enter "root" or "System Administrator" to log in as root. or you can simply open the Terminal and have shell access to switch user to superuser(root) by typing: su

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.