Firefox - Very Slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, iPod Video, iPod Nano Chrome 16gig
Had my blackbook for 9ish months, anmd its been great so far.

however, very recently, firefox has been acting very slow, and freezing/crashing occasionally. this usually happens whilst i am on facebook, with a couple of other tabs open.

any reasons why, or what i can do to fix it?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
We can't help you without having more information like your computer specs and OS version.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What CR said and also have you tried Safari doing the same things? Does it react the way Firefox does?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you have any ad-ins installed for FF?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
...with a couple of other tabs open.
Such as? Perhaps the pages you have open are using bandwidth through a plugin.

And, as dtravis7 said, is this problem endemic to Firefox?

Reaction score
I have the same problem

Hi,
I run firefox (3.0.10) on my macbook pro (os x 10.5.6 model 3.1). Firefox has no plugins since I removed them with the menu in firefox safe mode. The problem occurs during normal use of firefox and did occure several times. Currently I'm building a joomla virtuemart shop and for that I have 10 tabs open. The pages I have open do not show live streaming or anything, they are just forums and help pages.
The problems with firefox started just after I upgraded to the last version.
What happens is that when I click on links the response time increases eventualy is several seconds (the color weel pops up). Eventualy the program becoms unresponsive and I have to force it to quit.
I tried to generate the problem again while writing this message in Safari but at this moment it wil not hang.
Can anyone help me resolve this problem? Is there a way te return to the previous version of firefox?

Jelbert

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Hi vansmith,

Can you tell me what you mean by recreating my profile?

There is something else weird. This night I saw that my website did use much bandwith. at 04-28 it used 2.21MB at 04-29 1.86GB and at 04-30 2.47GB. First I thought the site as being hacked or something but now I thing firefox is keeping getting some files. When I open a tab and go to my site the bandwith of my connection goes to maximum. It takes a long time to load the page and when that is done it keeps getting data at 200KB/s. This does not happen in Safari.
I will go back to te last version and try again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi vansmith,

Can you tell me what you mean by recreating my profile?

There is something else weird. This night I saw that my website did use much bandwith. at 04-28 it used 2.21MB at 04-29 1.86GB and at 04-30 2.47GB. First I thought the site as being hacked or something but now I thing firefox is keeping getting some files. When I open a tab and go to my site the bandwith of my connection goes to maximum. It takes a long time to load the page and when that is done it keeps getting data at 200KB/s. This does not happen in Safari.
I will go back to te last version and try again.

I think he means creating a new user account and logging in with that one and seeing if the problem persists. If the problem is user-specific, then we know it's got to be an errant setting within your account. If not, then we know it's an issue with the application or something inherent to the OS install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.