Voice Recordings

Reaction score
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a decent mic for recording audio (speech) - I have a Mac Pro1,1 Dual-Core Intel Xeon.

Cheers

Reaction score
I'll put in a plug for the rig i use to do my podcast with... a Heil PR40 using a Berringereurorack ub8802 for a preamp. Has worked well for me for about 175 podcasts.

Of course i just depends on just what you are going to be doing with it, there are a lot of good mics out there. El cheap o mikes usually are too so don't let a more expensive price scare you off if you want quality sound.

OP
W
Reaction score
Mic

Hi James,

thanks for the reply - i'm afraid I no very little about mic / music equipment in general - I just need to do some narrating over some videos I have recorded.

any links to purchase a mic would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Blue is making some nice usb microphones that sound pretty good. Quality sound can be found through inexpensive mics. I run a EV Cardinal through an Alesis multimix 8 and you can great sound using a simple noise reducing usb mic

The key is to reduce ambient noise. If you can consider recording in a closet the clothes will quite things down. If not, make sure you only have garageband or what ever recording program you're using to reduce the chance of the fan coming on. Don't forget to start with recording 10 seconds of silence at the start which will make editing easier. Lastly talk over top of the mic to reduce pops.

OP
W
Reaction score
hey thanks for the post chaps - Boneheadz, I ended up purchasing a Blue snowball - cheers bud - i'll let you know how I find it

Reaction score
What he said... don't try and eat the mic, it will pick up lots of strange noises... if you find you are getting a lot of pops and stuff you might need to back off the mic or maybe put a foam cover over it. Only turn up the preamp enough to get what you want, to high and it will pick up noise from down the block...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.