• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

When do you think HDTVs will become available in smaller sizes?

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a Samsung TV and found that they have a new line of LED TVs. I have an entertainment centre and the biggest TV it allows is a 27" TV and I want a 1080p TV. The lowest 1080p TV they have is 32" but that's only LCD and the lowest LED TV they have is 40". They do have 27" 720p TVs but I want a 27" LED 1080p TV. When will LED/Full HD Technology come to smaller TV screens? OLED is in tiny screens but that technology is still quite expensive. I'm in no hurry to get a new TV but I hope that 1080p LED TVs will come to smaller screens by the end of this year. What do you guys think about LED technology?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Well the LED tv's are still new, I plan on getting one of the samsung LEDs once the price is right, which might be awhile. But just as all new tech it takes awhile for it to come to other makers and to people who would have other uses, so I'd say give it a year or so. I went to go see the Samsung Leds I saw the 55" right next to a Samsung 63" Plasma, it was so close to each other in picture quality it wasn't funny.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It's kind of a TV but not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I also would like to get a smaller HDTV. For the simple fact I don't have the space or the want for a large TV. Heck if it was possible I'd get an Apple display and hook it up to a blue ray player and mac mini. Cause I like the size of those screens as a TV. Not possible I know.

I know I won't be able to see the HD difference on a small screen. But with HD TV signals becoming the norm in my country in a year or two I want to make the most of them.

OP
L
Reaction score
It's kind of a TV but not?

Meh, that's just a monitor. I want to just get rid of the entertainment centre but my dad wants to show off his awards and family pictures. If we didn't have the entertainment centre we could get the 40" LED TV. My only real letdown is that it doesn't have any component/composite inputs but if I get a newer surround sound system then I can plug the games into the amplifier and output over HDMI to the HDTV. That would upscale the visuals I bet. I'll wait a year or so until the Luxia/smaller LED TVs come out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Honestly, you will never know the difference between 1080P and 720P on a TV that small. To really see the difference, you've got to be at 42" and larger. That's why they don't sell them.

OP
L
Reaction score
Do you guys have HDTVs? If so, what type? I've been looking at Samsung and right now I think they're some of the best out now. The new LED ones have a 3 million contrast ratio and the Sony OLED ones are still at 1 million.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you guys have HDTVs? If so, what type? I've been looking at Samsung and right now I think they're some of the best out now. The new LED ones have a 3 million contrast ratio and the Sony OLED ones are still at 1 million.

I have a 37" Sharp AQUOS LCD 720P. It's beautiful, but if I could do it again, I would have scrapped the armoire that I bought it to fit in and just went with a 42" Plasma. In my experience, Plasmas are just better displays overall, with much better contrast ratios.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
deleted: not really relevant to the thread

I do agree with the others - at a screen size of 27" for a TV, 720p really is all you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
At 27", you likely would not be able to tell if it was HD or not.

Exactly, at that size, unless your nose is pressed up against the screen, 1080p is really not going to give you anything extra and is wasted. 720p at this size is plenty.

On the other hand, you could just get a monitor. There are 24" monitors that can do 1920*1080 and 26 or 28" monitors that can do 1920*1200, effectively 1080p with borders.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly, at that size, unless your nose is pressed up against the screen, 1080p is really not going to give you anything extra and is wasted. 720p at this size is plenty.

On the other hand, you could just get a monitor. There are 24" monitors that can do 1920*1080 and 26 or 28" monitors that can do 1920*1200, effectively 1080p with borders.

Yep, I just bought one from Dell a few weeks ago. Ran into a deal on slickdeals.net. $188+tax (free shipping). It's a 24" 1080P native monitor with DVI/SVGA and HDMI inputs. Hook that thing up to an external HD tuner and you're good to go.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hmm, monitors don't have RF inputs right? I want a full TV with all the inputs, a lot of HDTVs now only have 1 component input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
$279 26" Visio LCD at Sam's/Walmart when they are on sale and in stock. 720p looks just fine at that size and works just fine with HD Direct TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't want to be mean or anything, but you will never tell the difference of a 1080p vs 720p/1080i(i think this looks better than 720). the sweet spot for 1080p is around 40-42 inches! The only way you could tell is by technical data. We switched to 1080 p when dish network started offering 1080p service a couple of months ago. we have 2 32"toshiba's that have 1080p, one regular toshiba 32" that does only 720p/1080i, and one 46"sony bravia 1080p that honestly doesn't look better than the other 2 1080p's that we have from toshiba. What you have to realize is that a 32" screen, with 1080p has the same amount of pixels as a 46" 1080p lcd tv. Normally, the smaller you go, the closer/smaller the pixels get, thus eliminated the real need for such higher resolution. I also think that they probably wouldn't be cheap because I'm not sure if there is a company out there that has a screen advanced enough to display such high pixels in such a small screen, when the need isn't really necessary, unless you feel the need to be manly and say, "hey! I got 1080p...on a 27" screen"

LED technology, like in these mac displays is something i enjoy a lot! They don't create nearly as much heat as a regular lcd tv, and has the potential to become the standard format just as the LCD has become the standard now. I look forward to LED tv's but won't be in a hurry to upgrade anything...I love my Toshiba 32" 1080p...one of the BEST tv's we have ever owned! Thats why we got 2:)

OLED is as impressive as plasmas...i could honestly care less because there are lcd screens that are impressively thin, and look just as good without the huge price tag. The only cool thing i like about them is their potential to have a 3-D flexible screen!

I learned one thing though! When buying a tv, never go with what someone else want's you to buy! Use their general knowledge to learn about it, but when it comes time to buy, buy the one that tickles your fancy and you will love your tv no matter what new one comes out! It happened to me when I purchased the sony lcd because i got suckered into a "sweet deal" and hated it almost right away! Take your time when buying one, you want it to be enjoyable for as long as possible! Sony just doesn't live up to its huge price tag and hype. Go Toshiba! They have definitely exceeded all of my expectations....i think i got side tacked:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.