Call of Duty 4 1.7 patch problem

Reaction score
I've been trying to install the 1.7 update for Call of Duty 4 so's I can play cross platform (as well as enjoy the other benefits). Downloaded the patch (the one for the retail game, which is what I have), but every time I try to install it it says it can't install, because the game was not installed properly. I've tried reinstalling the game (you just drag the folder to your hard disk), and that hasn't helped. I don't know what to do. Can anyone please speak to this problem? Thanks!

PS- single player runs fine.

Am running 15" MBP 2.66ghz, OSX 10.5.6, 4gb ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Where did you get you 1.7 patch from? Aspyre or from Apples website?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Ok, I applied the patch this evening, and it worked fine.

There are two different versions of the patch, and you need to get the one thats appropriate for the version you have...

CoD4_E_DR_1.7.1.dmg is for the DOWNLOAD version of the game, this will FAIL if you try to use it to patch the DVD Media version of the game with an error like what you saw, stating that it could not find the install. There is a caveat below if you have the other version, as it will supply the same type of error if you have the download version of the game rather then the retail DVD. This patch is the one you would most likely get from Apple, or possibly macupdate.

CoD4_E_SR_1.7.1.dmg is the version of the patch for the DVD media retail version of the game. This patch is obtained from aspyre itself. This patch will only work correctly for the version of the game installed from DVD media, and is for the english version of the game. This patch will FAIL on the download version of the game giving an error similar to what you mentioned not finding the product installed. Once again, this patch is the version you would download from Aspyre. It might be available elsewhere, but this is where I got my copy.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
Same issue here.

I am having the exact same issue as you and it is frustrating as uh....heck too.Single player works fine.Multiplayer is installed and runs but every map is a ghost town.3 re-installs have yielded the same result each time.No multiplayer is a fun killer ain't it?:Angry:

Reaction score
Same problem but worse

I had the Exact same problem that you had but when i used the DR one it said the game wasn't installed properly but when i used the SR one it said "This package you are trying to install is not compatible with this version of mac OS X"
If anyone can help i would thank you guys so much Thanks for responding :D :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe the OS is simply too old. OS X.5 is now six OS old and it is very, very difficult to get anything for older PowerPC applications. Write to the developer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.