How to Retain Mail Font Type/Size/Color on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
I have a new 24" iMac running Leopard 10.5.6.

I would like to use the same font type, size and color when I prepare my emails. So I go into Mail/Preferences and make my selections for Message Font. But then when I type my email message, all is forgotten. Do I have to make my selection with each and every email, or is there a way to retain my selected values as defaults?

After spending 20 years on a PC, I am struggling just a bit with my new iMac. My first impression is that iMac makes the hard things easy to do, and the easy things (like the above) hard to do.

Thank you in advance

Reaction score
If you are using Plain Text to compose you will need to change "Fixed Width font" or uncheck Use Fixed Width font for plain text messages in Mail preferences. Message Font is for Rich Text.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
If you are using Plain Text to compose you will need to change "Fixed Width font" or uncheck Use Fixed Width font for plain text messages in Mail preferences. Message Font is for Rich Text.

Thanks much. I figured it was something simple I was missing............

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

OK, I did these two things and that took care of retaining the font type and size, but not the color. The font color is always black unless I change it for each outgoing email message. Is there not a way to also retain my selected color as a default for all messages? Thanks..............

Reaction score
OK, I did these two things and that took care of retaining the font type and size, but not the color. The font color is always black unless I change it for each outgoing email message. Is there not a way to also retain my selected color as a default for all messages? Thanks..............

To get color you will need to use "Rich Text", Plain Text is,,, well just plain text, no formatting. After changing to Rich Text you will change your default in the Mail Preference > fonts & colors > "Message font" line.

Edit:
Well this is what I get for just thinking I knew what I was talking about... You are right, Color doesn't hold as the default in Mail. I should have tested it first. LOL Anyway I did test it in Thunderbird mail and color will hold there, so you may want to download Thunderbird and give it a try...
Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.