Mac Mini Hard Drive Noise

R

robpom

Question for all Mac Mini users out there. My Mac mini makes a little pinging noise - more of a clunking noise - not real loud - about once a minute. It sounds like it may be the hard drive.

Any other users hearing this?

RP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I dont own one, byut any unuaual clicking coming from your hd isnt a good thing.

OP
T

Thud

robpom said:
Question for all Mac Mini users out there. My Mac mini makes a little pinging noise - more of a clunking noise - not real loud - about once a minute. It sounds like it may be the hard drive.

Any other users hearing this?

RP

I can hear mine do a little seek every now and then... just a routine thing.
If it's the same muffled sounds that it makes when you're loading a program or something, then I wouldn't worry about it. Even when you're not doing anything, the OS may occasionally need to read/write from the hard drive.

But if it's a sharp metallic "clack" that's louder than normal HD usage, it might be a problem.

Reaction score
I have a mac mini, mine does the same thing, I hope it isn't a sign that the HD is going bad. I plan on buying a new HD soon regardless, I want a faster one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If all those Mac Minis are doing the same thing, I bet it's ok. I have heard nothing from them in the Apple store, but there is so much noise, it would be hard to tell

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My mini is so quiet it's really hard to tell as it's in a room with a noisy PC Server with lots of cooling, But even when I first unpacked it and tried it in the front room, it's so dang quiet. There might be a small noise once in a while when the drive seeks.

I would have to turn off every noise in the house to hear anything from it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.