I may have ruined my ipod....

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post but since I switched recently I've been lurking for advice for a little while!!

Basically, I have an ipod that was previously used with a windows laptop. I plugged it into my new macbook, forgetting that I would have to format it for OS X (right?). It said there was a software update, which I downloaded and installed and since then the ipod just displays the apple logo and lights up and goes dark at various intervals. Now neither the macbook or the laptop recognises that it is plugged in at all.

Any idea what I've done or what I can do about it? I'd really really like to avoid formatting because I've used the ipod as a small hard drive for transferring pictures and stuff about. But if neither computer recognises the ipod I guess i don't even have the option to format it. I don't know.... any advice is SO welcome. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There's lots and lots of types of iPods out there. It may help to know one you have.

Reaction score
Even if your warranty has expired and you don't have apple care, I had a problem like this and apple's support line helped me solve it in an hour or so. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but
1-800-APL-CARE
1-800-275-2273

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.