Looking to purchase a laptop... don't know what to buy

Reaction score
HELP PLEASE! Looking to purchase a laptop... don't know what to buy

Hi everyone.

I am in need of your opinions and user reviews.
I feel i never had such a huge headache since 2005, when i was contemplating on which digital camera to purchase.

Here's a little about me.
1- I have never owned a laptop
2- I am currently a Desktop PC user
3- I am an industrial(product) design student

The problem is:
1- I commute to school everyday, which is approx 3hr round-trip.
2- I have to use the limited number of school computers when at school, there are no problems early on in the quarter but as midterm and finals approach, the number of free computers become little to none.
3- During these times, my productivity rate goes down to zero. And leaves me no choice to either drive back home or to wait until a computer opens.

The programs I use regularly:
1a- I use Solidworks(3d modeling) regularly which is PC only.
1b- I use Bunkspeed Hypershot for renderings also.
2a- I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign.

Other things i need, want, but dont currently have or is inefficient:
1- Screen capture, both stills and video
2- Webcam + microphone

The reason I want a laptop:
1- I want to be equally productive while I am at school as I would be if I were at home.
2- I dont want to have to look for 'free' computers
3- I want to stay longer on campus, so that my drives+gas are not wasteful.

The Headache...
1- Do i purchase a laptop PC or a Macbook Pro?
a. My own research shows that two similarly equipped laptops have a near $1000 difference, with the Macbook Pro being more expensive.
b. Are there any significant software that can only be found on a Macbook Pro that I would use?
c. I honestly dont know enough about Macbooks to really compare and contrast these two machines on my own.

Things Ive heard through friends and the internet:
1- dual booting Windows: does this affect performance at all?
2- get a macbook its better... this isn't very convincing for me, because when i ask them, So, How is it better?
The only response i have gotten is,
"they are no viruses or spyware on Macbooks"
"Its got iLife"
What is iLife? I am a complete Macbook Noob!
3- ability to create a your own book and have it shipped to you by apple? <very interested in this

I need some information in a language that could be understood by beginners.

In a wrap:
Is the Macbook Pro really better than a Laptop PC? Why? How?
The more details the better.

Reaction score
buy a macbook pro

after buying 4 laptops I realize that mac laptop are the best
massive power in thing and light
look great
lcd can be seen in the sunlight
battery life
video card can handle anything my run bioshock on 1080p on my hdtv
hardware is top quality my survive a trip to Iraq , others fry
mac os is superior than vista but you still can run window on it if you need to
check my 2008 still kick ***
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/150058-custom-paint-macbook-pro-youself.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
The Headache...
1- Do i purchase a laptop PC or a Macbook Pro?
a. My own research shows that two similarly equipped laptops have a near $1000 difference, with the Macbook Pro being more expensive.
b. Are there any significant software that can only be found on a Macbook Pro that I would use?
c. I honestly dont know enough about Macbooks to really compare and contrast these two machines on my own.
There is one major software you can only use on a Mac - the operating system, the main reason to switch, unless you rob a bank or have generous parents then buying a Mac just because it looks good is ... well silly to say the least. For me it was in fact the OS that made me switch, I was tired and bored of Windows and the looks just made it easier and more fun ... I do love my laptop and do like the looks (I can't say I would buy a ugly laptop)
And yes, you CAN get the same hardware for much less. With the Mac you are paying for better quality, when you buy a cheap plastic notebook, it will have the hardware, but you will be replacing it much sooner
Go to an Apple store and have a look at the computer.

Things Ive heard through friends and the internet:
1- dual booting Windows: does this affect performance at all?
2- get a macbook its better... this isn't very convincing for me, because when i ask them, So, How is it better?
The only response i have gotten is,
"they are no viruses or spyware on Macbooks"
"Its got iLife"
What is iLife? I am a complete Macbook Noob!
3- ability to create a your own book and have it shipped to you by apple? <very interested in this
1 - yes you can dual boot any operating system, without loosing performance, Apple supplies drivers for Windows and it runs smoothly just like on a PC ... but again, why in the world would you buy a laptop for almost twice the money just to dual boot Windows all the time. Yes, most of us do use Windows on a regular basis, me included, but if you want to use it full time, get a Sony Vaio or a Thinkpad.
2 - it's up to you and you only to decide what is better, all I can do is provide an opinion:
For me it is indeed better, why? MacOS X. By far my favourite system, just because it's easy to use and it just seems to work effortlessly, but that is something you need to try for yourself. The notebook itself is well build, unibody design, high-end components (as far as laptops go), overall well engineered. Looks? Yeah, I do love how it looks, great design in the inside and outside.
iLife is a software bundle that comes with every Mac, it includes stuff like iMovie, iPhoto, Garage Band .... compared to a PC the Mac is better equiped with software right off the shelf and it's ready to use. I wouldn't point out only iLife though, there are many system utilities that are very helpful (and the Developer kit, but you wouldn't be using that) and the Web is packed with software, which unlike free apps for Windows, are helpful and work.
3 - I'm not sure what you mean by book? IF you mean configure the laptop yourself, then yes, you can configure the laptop, you choose from line-up of basic models and you can add on hard drives and RAM or aditional software

In a wrap:
Is the Macbook Pro really better than a Laptop PC? Why? How?
The more details the better.

Depends on what is better for YOU! In someones hands the Mac is just another piece of hardware they can use and have fun with, for others it's the best thing ever and they will try to convince you that it's the only way to go. In the end you are the one who will be using the laptop, so buy what suits you best.

Probably tiring response to read, but might offer some insight

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It's kind of ironic that an industrial designer has to ask which is better. It depends what you are looking for in a Notebook. Mac offers design, and Mac OSX. That's really the only two factors when it comes to purchasing a notebook besides the price.

In the end if you don't need or want to use the Mac OS then go buy a PC notebook and go on with your life.

If you do plan on getting a Mac then I think you will find it to be an enjoyable experience, and probably won't ever touch Windows again. However if you are a total Mac noob it will take some time to adjust and get use to everything. Not to mention it gets more expensive when you have to use PC only software. IE. purchasing Windows.

Dual booting doesn't effect the performance of the notebook whatsoever.

Reaction score
It's kind of ironic that an industrial designer has to ask which is better.

Not really. The question wasn't "Which laptops have a nicer design?"

Mac offers design, and Mac OSX. That's really the only two factors when it comes to purchasing a notebook besides the price.

Nope. The hardware specs are pretty important too.

If you do plan on getting a Mac then I think you will find it to be an enjoyable experience, and probably won't ever touch Windows again.

Until Solidworks releases a Mac-native version (unlikely).

I'd just get a PC laptop and not bother with the hassle.

OP
S
Reaction score
I read through all your thoughts and indeed they are insightful!

But like scathe and crimsonrequiem has said, i guess i do have to just try it out myself before deciding which one to buy.

But that in itself is a bit hard to accomplish.
I tried asking a few friends of mine if i could borrow their macbooks for a day just so i could get a feel for it.

Obviously their responses were "uhh...."
"I have personal data in it..."

HAHA, but i dont think 10minutes at the apple store or bestbuy would be enough time for me to decide yaknow?

---

Oh and the book thing, a friend of mine said you could compile and layout your own uh...pdf? and have it sent to apple.
And they print and bind it into a book and ship it to you in a week or two.
(A confirmation or more info on that would be cool)

The funny and also infuriating thing is.
I recently reformatted my comp about less than 3 weeks ago, due to a virus.
And just today not too long after i posted this topic.
I got a virus again!
I was just like OMG!..sgaighrlahiriohfkladlfjhfialha]

Maybe the Mac has less viruses and spyware is a good argument, haha.

[edit]
@miles01110
yea solidworks is one of key programs i use, dual booting is an option... but like you said, a hassle no?
if not the Macbook pro, i was considering the HP HDX16t
anyone know anything about this computer?

(ive already read the reviews online, so any personal user reviews would be appreciated)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Instead of a MacBook Pro...what about purchasing a MacBook?

In fact a older used MacBook can be purchased for $400-$600 bucks!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Check out lulu.com if you mean real paper books...

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the input yall.

Ive been able to figure out what i want in a mac and what i want in a pc.
1- A pc, i want a workstation laptop... which would be something closer to the Precision 6400 = pricey and heavy.
2- Whereas for the mac, i want a photoshop and illustrator, mostly basic simplier graphic programs = pricey but lighter.

Either one i choose, price is gonna be over 2Grand, so i gotta do lots of saving from now on.
Still havent decided which one to go for, but +1 for macbook for todays discovery.

+1 for Macbooks
2 Finger Scrolling... pure awesome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.