Moving macbook pro when not in sleep mode

Reaction score
So I know that the manual says that if you want to move your macbook, you should put it to sleep first. But how much movement would actually damage the computer. Often I will move my laptop from my coffee table, to my lap. In all, its probably moving it 2 feet. I find it really awkward to put my laptop in sleep mode just to put it on my lap, but I'm paranoid that I'm gonna damage it if I don't. So, would this small of a movement really damage anything, or am I just babying my new macbook? haha

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moving your MacBook while it's awake won't cause damage provided you're moving it a short distance (like from your desk to your table or lap) and you move\handle it gently.

I do not recommend moving the MacBook or any portable computer over a long distance while it's asleep or awake. In that scenario, it's best to turn it completely off first.

Regards.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
lolz ya, yer babying it :) it's fine to move it. you moving it from the table to yer lap is far less dangerous than simply using it on an airplane, and even that is pretty normal abuse from a movement standpoint. i use mine in cars/trains/planes pretty often, and never have a problem. if the macbook senses 'too much' movement, it shuts the hard drive down momentarily anyway.

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh, so is that the clicking noise that I sometimes hear if it gets tilted a bit?

I guess I'm gonna have to stop babying it a bit. lol! Thanks for the help!

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
now if yer doing something with the optical drive (cd/dvd), then you'll probably want it to stay as absolutely still as possible :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I do not recommend moving the MacBook or any portable computer over a long distance while it's asleep or awake. In that scenario, it's best to turn it completely off first.

I don't agree with this sentiment. I move my Macbook around all the time while in sleep mode to no detriment. I just close the lid, throw it in my bag, and then drive to class. There have even been occasions where I've put it to sleep and taken it on a flight. It's been two and a half years and I have yet to experience any problems. Macbooks are more resilient than you give them credit for.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's just say you've been lucky. :) I've read too many horror stories which make me believe the opposite.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I don't agree with this sentiment. I move my Macbook around all the time while in sleep mode to no detriment. I just close the lid, throw it in my bag, and then drive to class. There have even been occasions where I've put it to sleep and taken it on a flight. It's been two and a half years and I have yet to experience any problems. Macbooks are more resilient than you give them credit for.
Exactly.
I have owned several notebooks over the years.
I have never turned any of them off when transporting them.
I simply close the lid and go and I've never experienced any problems.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I do this as well. Put it in my notebook bag and drive to school. Run to class and it's fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.