• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just, ugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
So I got my truck out to my buddy's place to paint the antenna today, and on my way home, some lady in a 2500 sideswiped me. ;_;

Rather than have her get upset and call the cops (they'd have sided with her, I'm sure of it) I just agreed to pay for her grille and fender flare.

I haven't got any pictures of the smashed up door, but I think it's punishment for getting a zigzag antenna for my truck.

04252009260.jpg

I was going to fix the bumper tomorrow, but, well...

04252009264.jpg

Door will open, but it's difficult to shut. The window won't roll down (at least it didn't shatter again.) Mirror is screwed (Had zip ties in the truck, thank God.)

But, looking at it from a positive angle:

- Insurance and Cops weren't involved.
- The grille and fender flare for her truck total out to like, $70 on parts train, which is cheaper than a ticket or a deductible. I can probably get them at the junkyard for a lot less too.
- I get a purple or black door for a few weeks.
- I can finally fix my busted speaker.
- I have an excuse to paint my truck.
- The emblem isn't broken, so I can take it off and put it on my mini-fridge.
- My door now whistles when I go over 40, and it's a pleasant note. Sounds like a C sharp.

Although, really looking at it, that'll buff out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Well, at least its just hit the door and no other panels

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, at least its just hit the door and no other panels

The back end of my cab got pushed in a bit, but I can bondo that no problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
On a positive note, you probably improved the styling and aerodynamics of her truck for free!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You need a drink...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You seriously are too kind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If the accident wasn't your fault (which is questionable) why would your insurance o up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see sig...
so lemme get this straight.... SHE sideswipes YOU....and YOU pay for HER????

are you outta your freakin mind??????

she hit you, she's at fault and pays for it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yea, there's something off about this story.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would be careful about not having the police involved and the insurance company.

Had something similar happen to be except a lot worst. Car accident that involved snow and ice, and my car ending up in a forest of trees.

Anyways I get sued like a year later, and that wasn't cool. Luckily I had witnesses and what not.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would be careful about not having the police involved and the insurance company.

Had something similar happen to be except a lot worst. Car accident that involved snow and ice, and my car ending up in a forest of trees.

Anyways I get sued like a year later, and that wasn't cool. Luckily I had witnesses and what not.

VERY good point CR.

Derek, if it's not your fault and she banged into you, I would be very careful as down the road she could come back and try and mess with you and say you were at fault. Something to ponder for sure.

You paying for her car if was her fault almost makes it look like you admitting guilt!

Was it Her fault or your fault?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If the accident wasn't your fault (which is questionable) why would your insurance o up?
No-fault insurance? The insurance company may decide to increase his premiums if they determine he was at-fault, regardless of what he or the lady says. The laws in Michigan may also differ from all of our respective provinces/states/nations so their insurance laws may be different from the ones we are used to knowing.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No-fault insurance? The insurance company may decide to increase his premiums if they determine he was at-fault, regardless of what he or the lady says. The laws in Michigan may also differ from all of our respective provinces/states/nations so their insurance laws may be different from the ones we are used to knowing.

Correct. I have no fault insurance under my parents' name. For all intents and purposes, I technically don't drive the truck.

Really what I did here was the best form of damage control I could. After this, my insurance cost would've quadrupled had we gotten insurance involved.

The cops are going to look at the 40 year old woman and the 20 year old kid and think "Well he's young so she's gotta be at fault." because all the other witnesses to the accident had already driven off.

Before I give her the money/parts, I'm going to bring my mom/dad and maybe even another "witness" along. I'm even half tempted to draft up an agreement that says that this is the end of it and no further action would be taken. Legal like, of course.

My step-dad was there when her and I made the "deal". He's the one we suggested we do it this way, and he was there to witness everything. He pulled me aside and said "Regardless of who hit who, you're going to get bent over if insurance gets involved. Take the dive on this one and see if getting them the parts can end this before it starts", which seemed more than satisfactory to the lady and her husband.

Basically, rather than be paying 4x the cost of car insurance (not exaggerating), and running the risk of a reckless driving ticket (because I'm not 30+ years old so I obviously can't drive), I took the route that's going to be the least damaging down the road, so long as it's carried out right.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The cops are going to look at the 40 year old woman and the 20 year old kid and think "Well he's young so she's gotta be at fault." because all the other witnesses to the accident had already driven off.
I know how that feels. I'm 23 and always feel that people assume I can't drive because I'm young. I can only imagine what the guy at the car rental place was thinking on my last road trip.

Before I give her the money/parts, I'm going to bring my mom/dad and maybe even another "witness" along. I'm even half tempted to draft up an agreement that says that this is the end of it and no further action would be taken. Legal like, of course.
That could be a very good way to cover yourself in case she decides to become litigious in the future. Make sure to get the drafted by a lawyer though if you do decide to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You don't really need to get it drafted by a lawyer. Just make sure it has clear and definite terms, that everything you agree to orally is written down, and that both sides agree to it. An agreement like that would hold up just fine in court.

I can look over the language if you'd like.

Reaction score
You could say the truck now matches the antenna!! Glad to know it wasn't worse and that you weren't hurt.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You could say the truck now matches the antenna!! Glad to know it wasn't worse and that you weren't hurt.

That antenna is a trip! :D Sorry, I had to say it! :D

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't really need to get it drafted by a lawyer. Just make sure it has clear and definite terms, that everything you agree to orally is written down, and that both sides agree to it. An agreement like that would hold up just fine in court.

I can look over the language if you'd like.

I would appreciate it.

That antenna is a trip! :D Sorry, I had to say it! :D

No need to be sorry. That was actually my big project yesterday. I wanted to have a zig zag antenna, so I went at it with a propane torch and a vice. Sanded it, painted it, and it came out nice. I was looking forward to going cruising last night, but well...

In any case, hopefully everything makes more sense. I guess a lot of accidents happen at that particular intersection because of the way the lanes are chopped up.

The lady called me today just to make sure I was okay, which was kind of unexpected, but nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I agree with the sentiments of your thread title.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
doord.jpg

Found this wonderful door at the junkyard for $25.

It was originally purple, but this paint is ridiculous. Totally coming off this weekend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.