iTunes albums split in two

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
As a recent 'switcher' I've been very hesitant to start using iTunes. But I've been very impressed with all the iLife applications so I thought I'd give it a go.

Among other quirks that take some getting used to, one thing I can't figure out is why I have several albums split into two separate albums in the Library. I've gone through and manually made sure tags match to try to get them to merge, and this worked for a few of them... but I can't possibly do this for my entire Library (over 120GB of mp3s!).

There must be a quicker way to merge these albums. A little help? Thanks so much in advance!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
Not a single suggestion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Give people time to respond, this isn't an on-demand help center.

This usually happens if there is a tag mismatch somewhere, sometimes it can be something as small as a space in one of the tag fields. It can also happen if some tracks are tagged as "Part of a compilation" and some are not.

M

MacInWin

What I have found is that something in the details of the tracks is different. Assuming the album is split into Songs1 and Songs2, pick a track in Songs1 and right click on it, then "get info." Note the data on the Info tab. Now close that window and go to Songs2, do the same and then compare the info. If the two parts of the album are next to each other in your list, you can use the "Previous" and "Next" buttons to switch between the two sets. Find what is different, and make it not be different. As soon as the info is identical, the albums will merge. I find it usually happens for a compilation album of different sources, or an album where the prime performer is alone on one track and in a group on another. Making them identical may be incorrect detail data, but it does get the album together, which was preferable for me.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
this is exactly what i'm experiencing, Jakerich. However with literally THOUSANDS of albums in my library, there's no way I can do this for all the split albums. It would be a full time job! There must be a way to automate this........

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.