Display information

Reaction score
Greetings!

This time I wont be asking a question, but clearing up an issue that I expermented with myself where it seems there is a ton of confusion.

I purchased my mac mini and I am a proud owner of nearly 24 hours. There are a lot of questions concerning the DVI and VGA abilities of the new port they put on it and the adapter. Lets see if I can clear some of it up...

The Mac mini comes with a miniDVI port on the back. Apple ships with the mac a miniDVI to DVI adapter. It is miniDVI to DVI-D (yes there are different versions of DVI). What this means for you is this... DVI-D only carries a digital signal. There is no analog signal so in no way shape or form, no matter how much you wish for it, will any DVI to VGA adapter work on that adapter. Every adapter out there that converts DVI to VGA is converting a DVI-I signal (it carries both a digital and analog signal). Most devices have a DVI-I connector on them, but the miniDVI to DVI adapter Mac ships with the mini is DVI-D. If you want to use VGA on your mac mini you will need a miniDVI to VGA adapter.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the info!

Sounds like things are getting more complicated with the DVI-D & DVI-I differences!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.