Formatting HD ibook g4: input/output error

Reaction score
I have an ibook g4 (powerPC based Mac) with leopard OSX 10.5 installed and recently I updated to 10.5.5. A few days later the computer started to give me problems. The computer only boots up to the grey screen with the apple logo. So after unsuccessfully trying to fix it using Disk Warrior and Disk Utility I decided to format the HD (fujitsu MHT2060AT).

Right now after pressing the ´erase´button I get the error message: Input/output error. I am using the following parameters:

Volume format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)
Security option: zero out data
Under ´Partion´tab:
Volume scheme: current (I have not partioned the HD)
Options: Apple partion Map

BTW, under the ERASE tab:
- SMART status is Verified
- Partition Map Scheme: unformatted

I don´t know what parameter I need to change to make the formatting work???

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you've got a bad hard drive. Not at all unusual for a laptop of that vintage.

OP
L
Reaction score
I had the physical HD checked out yesterday and in theory it is in perfect conditions. I was told it was a software issue. I am wondering if I need to create a partition and choose a partition scheme. I just don´t know which one to choose???

Please help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had the physical HD checked out yesterday and in theory it is in perfect conditions. I was told it was a software issue. I am wondering if I need to create a partition and choose a partition scheme. I just don´t know which one to choose???

Please help!

If it can't get through a format without an I/O error, then it's probably not healthy. How did you go about checking it?

OP
L
Reaction score
I took it to a computer store nearby where the owner knows about Macs. He said he opened it and checked the HD and it was fine and that it was a software problem, so recommended to format the HD. So, based on that advice I decided to bring it home and following the seemingly easy formatting steps give it a try.

So you know, the first thing I did was to try to erase the volume (titled: hard drive) that appears underneath the mfgr drive . In the process, I got a failed error message and since then that volume does not show up anymore.
Thenafter, I tried the same with the mfgr drive and I get the error message I posted here.

UPDATE: I just tried something new: Inserted the original install CD (i think it is tiger) and apparently it erased the HD and a subdrive was created. Then after, I tried installing the tiger CD but it did not let me install it in the created HD. So, I inserted the Leopard install CD and it accepted the install; however, it has been about 2 hours since the installment is remaining kind of idle.. no changes on the ´time remaining´ or completion bar.
Should I turn it off? or is this normal???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.