Is this a stupid question?

Reaction score
I'm using OS X 10.5.6 on a Intel Mini and trying to rescue some deleted files using a downloaded utility (photorec). When I double-click the photorec binary icon in Finder, it opens nicely in a terminal window, but I can't supply a required parameter. When I try to run photorec directly using sh, I get "photorec: cannot execute binary file". Checking the file info in Finder says it a PowerPC executable. There's no option under "open with" to force it be opened using Rosetta. What should I being doing? This is really bugging me -- I just want to recover my files and get back to work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
have a look at this:
PhotoRec Step By Step - CGSecurity

Edit:
btw, it is an application that runs from the Terminal anyway, so you said it does start to the Terminal and that's fine, so you just use your arrows and return to navigate in the porgram itself, kinda curious rly, but it works for me, although you don't have much choice as to what to recover, just let it run and wait, so this goes back to how far back you lost the file, it never is a 100% deal when recovering deleted ... but you do need to know a bit about your system to select the right options

anyway keep in mind that recovery has a best chance when you run it right after deleting, if you continue using the disk then your chances drop dramatically

OP
R
Reaction score
Misunderstanding. If you double-click the photorec icon in Macintosh finder it starts Terminal running photorec o.k. But there's no way of using this method to supply a parameter. The application WON'T open directly from an already running Terminal process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
what do you need to pass off as a parameter?

Edit:
these are the only params it can receive:
[/log] [/debug] [/d recup_dir] [file.dd|file.e01|device]

I'm really not sure how to supply the last, but I think all of these can be selected once the utility starts through it's menu system

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.