youtube video won't play properly in Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g5 iMac, MBP, iPhone 4 and more.
When I try to view youtube video the playback is staggered/stuttered/choppy, with a low frame-rate, all I'm seeing is a series of still images not fluid motion, if that makes any sense. The audio playback is fine.

If I open the exact same video in Firefox (using the Develop>Open Page With...) it plays fine.

I've tried repairing disk permissions, Macjanitor, Cocktail, deleting all cookies, used Yasu to clear out logs etc... still no joy.

Time for me to abandon Safari?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've searched this forum (and google) and can't find a solution...

I'm using the Beta Safari 4, and it WAS playing youtube videos fine, then about a week or so, this problem started.

:Grimmace:

Using Tiger 10.4.11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I think you've answered your own question, ie. use a browser that works with YouTube. Why Safari should work initially and then not, I cannot say.

Reaction score
This seems to be a fairly common problem. See this article. Remedies include: a) repairing permissions, b) uninstalling then reinstalling Adobe flash, c) downgrading flash to version 9.

OP
imacQ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thing is I like Safari... I don't like Firefox, that's a discussion for another tread, and one that's been had many times already, but I like to be able to use the apps I like, I like to have the choice... don't we all?

Also to Juan, thanks, but my problem is not causing a system freeze, or even causing safari to crash, it's just effecting video playback...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I like Safari .. I don't like Firefox .. I like to be able to use the apps I like, I like to have the choice .. don't we all?

Fair point (eg. I don't like or use Safari ;D), my suggestion is aimed at pragmatism. Have a look at Safari's Preferences > Security to make sure all the Web Content is enabled.

Have you tried Camino or Opera? I use the former, and it does a good job - quickly. It isn't perfect, oh no, there are several features yet to be developed, but it works fine with YouTube. Opera is fast, but is too susceptible to ads.

Reaction score
Also to Juan, thanks, but my problem is not causing a system freeze, or even causing safari to crash, it's just effecting video playback...
Yes, but even though you don't have a system freeze, I'm betting your problem is related to a problem with Adobe flash.

What information is displayed when you go to this Adobe flash web site?

If it doesn't say you have a good install, then you need to reinstall Adobe flash.

OP
imacQ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but even though you don't have a system freeze, I'm betting your problem is related to a problem with Adobe flash.

What information is displayed when you go to this Adobe flash web site?

If it doesn't say you have a good install, then you need to reinstall Adobe flash.

Juan,

Sorry about the delay in replying, for some reason your replies aren't being forwarded to my email, I've rechecked my account settings, and it's definitely supposed to be!

I now have the full version of Safari, but the same problem. I went to the site you recommended and got the message 'Adobe flash player successfully installed' but it does play back choppily...

It does indicate that I could have more up to date version of Flash, I assumed that OSX would ensure I was up to date automatically... it seems I was wrong!

thanks for the tip, and I hope this fixes it...

Reaction score
YouTube Freeze in brand new iMac

I just got my new iMAC 27" i3. Which mean new OS, plenty of HD, RAM etc.... I have experience the same problem discussed here. First I cannot play YouTube at all because it requested for installing Flash player. I have difficulty installing Flash and have to sort for help in this forum and tried different methods until I finally able to install Flash and played YouTube. However, experience freeze up, at that time I have virtual machine running. Then exhausting from trying to install I stopped. At later time, I try to run youtube again, which was successful. I guessed it must be virtual machine at last session. However, I was wrong. Today I run into the problem of freeze up again. This time I was successfully run youtube several times with virtual machine on until it freeze up at one of youtube. I tried closing virtual machine, still freeze at exact the same point. That's it for today. I will experiment and will report here again with and without success. BTW, I am a veteran PC user just switching to MAC. Will see what my knowledge about computer from PC would transfer to fixing problem in Mac. I think this should be some issue about Mac OSX and Flash ... though I cannot comment anything regarding version just yet since everything is a new version for me.

I tried to install and reinstall Flash many times before I got it to work. So I will not experiment with this until I try something else and fail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Didnt check the date of original post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.