Trying to upgrade imac 333 with OS 9.2.1 to OS X

J

Joebell

When starting up with the OS X 10.1 CD , it starts off ok, But then gets a BROKEN FOLDER ICON....

The imac has 128m ram and a 40g HD partioned as 6g and 32g.

Any Sugestions?

OP
B

Badger

If you're getting a broken folder on the CD then either the system on the CD is defective or it sees a problem with your hardware. Many people have reported memory incompatibilities or problems with 3rd party hardware when trying to install OS X on these models. I had to remove the CD burner in my 333 and reinstall the original CD drive before OS X installed. Once X was running I was able to put back the burner and everything worked fine. From your info I would guess that it doesn't like one of the memory chips.

Reaction score
Could try running the disk utility program from the top menu when booted with the installer CD as well and it would be a good idea to get some more ram as OSX is ram thirsty.

I was just wondering as well, if you two have both got imac 333's what colour are they?. I've got a lime one.

Hope you get it fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Just for grins I tried putting 10.3 on my kid's iMac 233, 192MB RAM. I had to put a 15GB drive in it (vs. 4GB) and for some reason I couldn't get the OS to boot off the drive when it was done. I could see the drive in Disk Util, erase/partition it, install OS and it would reboot. It would get stuck on the folder icon and lock up. I popped in a 20GB, and had no problems.

Of course the 15GB is not a new drive so it could be inop, but I threw it in my neighbors computer to upgrade his from 6GB (he's still stone age era) :) and it worked fine.

Odd.

OP
B

Badger

Mr Bobbins said:
I was just wondering as well, if you two have both got imac 333's what colour are they?. I've got a lime one.

Mine's blueberry.

OP
D

DavidJSwanson

Same here

I've got the exact same problem with the purple (?) iMac DV (pretty sure it's DV, it has a DVD-ROM, firewire, and VGA out). Got it for cheap cause the hard drive had died, so i put in an unused drive and it will boot in OS 9 just fine, and install but refuse to boot in OS X.

By the way, I've tried a couple of hard disks in there, with at least one being originally from a mac, with the same results.

Since they didn't know how to replace a hard drive i'm assuming that all the other stuff is still original on it. I've updated the firmware too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.