Finder: duplicate entries in "Open With" context menu

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a very strange problem with Finder.

When I right click on a movie file and select "Open with", I have 3 entries of VLC.app instead of one (all three are working when selected). The same happens when I right click on the image file: i get three entries of Gimp.app instead of one.

I am not sure what could have caused this but I remember trying to launch Finder from the command line recently and remember it crashed.

Anyway, could you anyone please explain how to fix that?

Many thanks,
Alex

problem.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would grab Onyx and have it run a bunch of its maintenance scripts, especially the one to rebuild the Launch Services. Use it to clear the cache, etc etc. Reboot when all done and see if that helped.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I followed your suggestion and used Onyx to rebuild the Launch services, which fixed the problem!! :)

I forgot to add to my previous post, that the problem appeared after I cloned my disk with carbon copy, when i booted from the original drive it didn't have this problem. I then re-cloned the disk using super duper thinking it would make a better copy, and that clone had the same problem.
anyway, rebuilding launch services fixed it, and i hope there're no other hidden problems caused by cloning.

many thanks again!
alex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.