Importing into iPhoto 09

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before but I didn't quite see my answer when I searched.

When I import photo's into iPhoto 09 does it make another copy of the file somewhere or does it simply link to the original location of the file?

I'd like to import all my photo's but didn't want to use up extra hard drive space if it makes a second copy of every photo I import.

Thanks in advance for helping out a new Mac user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yes it does, it creates its own iPhoto library in the User>Pictures folder

I myself have ditched iPhoto and moved over to Google's Picassa, but it is up to you if you want to use that instead

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before but I didn't quite see my answer when I searched.

When I import photo's into iPhoto 09 does it make another copy of the file somewhere or does it simply link to the original location of the file?

I'd like to import all my photo's but didn't want to use up extra hard drive space if it makes a second copy of every photo I import.

Thanks in advance for helping out a new Mac user.

iPhoto will do it either way..

From the iPhoto Help menu.

Choose iPhoto > Preferences
Click Advanced.
Select or deselect “Copy items to the iPhoto Library.”
Deselecting this option means that iPhoto will not duplicate photos when importing them into the application, but will leave them in their original files on your computer. When you edit these images in iPhoto, however, the edited versions will be saved in the iPhoto library, not your original files. Your original files remain untouched.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.