• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can QT Pro Convert .mpg to an iMovie usable file?

Reaction score
I have iMovie '09 and some .mpg files that can't be opened by it that i want to edit. I have been looking for some converters to DV or .Mov so i can use it with iMovie but all of them i need to pay. I'd much rather pay for QT Pro if that works instead of a 3rd party converter, so my question, can QT Pro convert a .mpg file? does it lose any quality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If the software you are using and the file formats you are working with allow for a "passthrough" option, then you can convert to a new format with no loss of video quality. QT Pro has this capability.

OP
R
Reaction score
That's good to know,

I need to know if anyone knows if QT Pro 7 can convert .mpg movie files into something usable by iMovie. It doesn't say .mpg on the list of supported files on the website but it says mpeg, i'm not sure if they're the same...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mpeg is .mpg

Now whether or not QT can export to a format iMovie can use is another matter. I'd have thought iMovie could use mpeg videos. What format specifically do you need to convert to? I can double check everything when I get home in a bit.

If you want... you can send me an example of what you want to convert and I'll make sure it's doable. Send me a private message if so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked out what iMovie supports. You can import mpeg videos in iMovie just fine. Use the import option, not "open".

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why not try HandBrake? It will convert just about anything to just about any other format. This will save you from having to purchase a QT pro license.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not try HandBrake? It will convert just about anything to just about any other format. This will save you from having to purchase a QT pro license.

Apparently iMovie can only import .dv format files. I don't see where Handbrake will convert to that.

EDIT: I just tried MPEG Streamclip. It will export to .dv files, so give that a whirl.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok cool, I found a converter that is for PC only that's free, so i just installed it on my desktop and I guess i'll just convert and transfer for now.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
MPEG Streamclip and ffmpegX may be helpful for the conversion.

iMovie can import other formats, not just DV.

OP
R
Reaction score
yeah, I found a converter that outputs MPEG4 files and my iMovie opened them just fine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.