I reset resolution for monitor - blank screen

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new intel mac mini - I reset the monitor resolution to the greatest point, and the screen went blank. Now I can' see anything. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, reset the monitor to a lower resolution. You probably exceeded the maximum resolution and\or refresh rate for the monitor. Higher than normal resolutions and refresh rates can damage a monitor which is why most have built in protection and will shut down. (screen goes blank)

Be sure to check the manual for the monitor. Pay special attention to the setting for its "native resolution and refresh rate".

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Still stuck, no monitor

I tried the command - option - P - R commands and I can't get my monitor to go to screen from black. I accidentally set too high a resolution and my Mac Mini 2.0 - 2 gigs is stuck with a monitor that won't come on. What do I do? Apple doesn't seem to receive online e-mails for tech support.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Resetting the PRAM resets your screen resolution, as stated here. If that doesn't work and you are doing it correctly, something else is wrong.

You say the monitor won't change from black. This may sound like a stupid question but are you sure it's plugged in properly and on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.