How many memory slots does the iBook have?

N

nadeem

I was checking out the Crucial site earlier and according to them the iBook only has one memory slot - is this correct? I wanted to put in another 512mb making 768 but seems I can't - can anyone clarify?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
mine has 1. there is 256 built in and 1 expansion slot

OP
N

nadeem

so you don't have to take out the 256mb ram that comes with the machine...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can not take out the 256

There is one available slot where you can put a 128,256,516,or a 1gb stick into

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The iBook has only one slot, plus 256MB (or 128MB for G3) soldered on the mainboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram
just upgraded

if you are considering upgrading go for the 512. i just put a 512 in after going to the u. of penn store and it increases the performance so much. i was going to get the 1gb but the guys there said that it would be going overboard. i think that everyone should upgrade to at least 512. there really was no problem with the 256 but using office 2004 was a little laggy.

OP
N

nadeem

Does anyone know where the memory slots are located on the iBook - just ordered from Crucial...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Underneath the airport card.

You just lift up the keyboard (pull down the tabs next to the eject and esc keys, and turn the litte screw under the Num. key light halfway), unscrew the airport extreme card (if you have one installed) and remove the tray that holds the airport card...

Under there is the slot for the memory stick - insert memory at 45° angle and press down. It'll make a clicking sound and you'll be set!

Some users say they have to push down quite forcefully to get it to snap in - wasn't so hard on my book, but bear that in mind...

Oh and you'll need a miniature + (phillips) screwdriver to unscrew the airport tray... get one now so you can do the installation as soon as your memory arrives!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Erm... not sure what you mean...

Basically you have these two little plastic sliders in the top row of the keyboard.
When you slide them towards you, you can dig your fingernails underneath the tabs and lift up the keyboard...

You have to first release the 3rd latch though: It is located under the little light between the F5 & F6 keys. Turn it by a quarter and the latch should be released...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i did my own too, it was quite easy. you will need a jewlers phillips head screw driver to unscrew the plate under the airport card.

on another note, does anyone have a digi cam that they can take pics of this process. i was thinking that we could post a how-to add memory and have it sticied to the top, or start a how-to section for the iBook.

Reaction score
My ibook has 512mb of ram built in. If I was to insert 1gig more could my machine handle this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My ibook has 512mb of ram built in. If I was to insert 1gig more could my machine handle this?

You have one of the last iBooks then that came with 512 Megs RAM. Same basic directions on removing the keyboard. Be careful with the keyboards ribbon cable.

There is one slow under a metal plate. You can add a 1GB for 1.5GB. I did that to my iBook G4 and it made a big difference as I am a heavy multi tasker.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G4-12-Inch/RAM/83/4/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.