SSD makes my UMBP longer to sleep?

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I was just realized that my 15" UMBP took a very long time to sleep other than the UMBPs in the Apple Store that are using HDD as standard. In the stock MBP, I had an instant sleep when I close the lid (Like 1 sec then the white LED flashes).

But in my MBP, I have to wait for at least 15 secs for it to be completely sleep. Is this normal? I also have waking up issues. My MBP takes longer to wake up from sleep than stock HDD based MBP.

Does anyone know about this matter? I have Samsung PM800 256 Gb SSD.

Thanks a lot.
Cheers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's definitely possible - SSDs are known to be slower to write than HDDs are. Since I'd imagine at least some of the memory state is being saved during sleep, that may be the culprit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple portables use "safe sleep" - which means information gets copied to RAM before sleep occurs. (Actually it's very similar to hibernate) You can as an option turn off the safe sleep feature by using a terminal command.

As cw107 pointed out, SSD hard drives respond more slowly so I don't know how much time you'll save by turning off the safe sleep feature in your MBP.

But in any event, if you would like to try it and see if it does save some time going to sleep: Read this article and do a copy paste of the terminal command = Link

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.