iMac G4 wireless

Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "better" - I don't like to waste USB ports on anything that could otherwise go into a PCI/PCMCIA slot, especially since iMacs don't have very many to start with. On the other hand, I seem to remember the iMac G4 being a pain to disassemble and USB sticks are much more portable.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is a wireless card better than the usb wireless stick?
I have mac osx installed.

From what I know & have read, the Apple Airport card (Airport or Airport Extreme) is better than the D-link DWL-122 USB wireless.

The D-Link product works, and may even be a cheaper alternative to the Airport card. But from what I've read...the D-Link USB product performance is not so great.

There aren't too many wireless USB sticks compatible "out of the box" with Mac computers...that's why I mention the D-link product specifically.

I would recommend getting an Airport card...about $30 bucks used (sometimes new) on e-Bay.

- Nick

Reaction score
it all depends on the generation of G4 imac you have. The earlier ones only came with airport (wireless b) so if its an early one i recommend the usb wireless g adapter, but if it supports airport extreme, then definitely use that...its not hard to put in anyway its only removing a small outer panel on the bottom

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Yes, I purchased a USB stick and it has not performed well. The model supports Airport Extreme, so I guess I'll try that now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The Apple airport extreme card is so easy to fit. Just loosen the 3 small philips headed captive screws and the base cover comes off exposing the user memory slot and airport card slot. If you are short of memory now is the time to beef it up while the base is off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.