SPEED: Alum Macbook 2.0 (w/4GB upgrade) compared to stock 2.4

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm new and this is probably a dumb question. I've tried to search for this but did not have much luck -- though I did find a lot of stuff that was useful.

In your opinion:

Would a new Macbook Aluminum 2.0 (upgrade 4G RAM) make up for the speed difference between the 2.0 and stock 2.4?

Thanks in advance...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Quite frankly, No. Upping the RAM will not make up for the difference in speed between those two processors.

For most of the run of the mill things people are doing on a computer, 4 GB is not needed at all. For those same things, you'll not notice any difference between the 2.4 and the 2.0 either.

For any more info, you'll need to tell us what apps you plan on running.

OP
S
Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of advice I needed, and why I joined the forum. Thanks for your quick reply.

No photoshop or gaming. No need for larger battery or xtra HD space.

The only [intensive?] thing I intend to do is watch/record/burn TV programs with Elgato.

So I'm guessing that 2.4 does not give me any advantages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.