Macbook gets extremely hot - is this normal?

Reaction score
Hi there

I recently purchased myself a new Aluminium Macbook 2.4ghz and have been absolotely delighted with it - i'll never buy a PC again.

However, I do have one big issue with it, it gets extremely hot, most noticably when I put it into sleep mode by closing the display. I closed it and went out for an hour or so and when I came back it was so hot I was convinced it was about to burst into flames, is this really normal for a sleeping Macbook?

Also, when in sleep mode, I hear some strangewhirring noises either coming from the hard disk or superdrive and the apple logo randomly flashing. Is this normal too?

Thanks very much,

A.

Reaction score
I would say it's definately abnormal, especially when in sleep mode with the lid closed.

I would recommend downloading smcfancontrol (eidac) so you can increase your fan speeds, his will lower the temperatures by a lot.

Also get iStatPro as well to monitor the actual temperatures.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, I do have one big issue with it, it gets extremely hot, most noticably when I put it into sleep mode by closing the display. I closed it and went out for an hour or so and when I came back it was so hot I was convinced it was about to burst into flames, is this really normal for a sleeping Macbook?

Also, when in sleep mode, I hear some strangewhirring noises either coming from the hard disk or superdrive and the apple logo randomly flashing. Is this normal too?

No, it's definitely not normal for your MacBook to get very hot especially when in sleep mode.

However..... are you sure when you shut the lid, your MacBook is entering sleep mode? Is the small white light in the front pulsing?

Try this: Instead of closing the lid to put the machine in sleep mode, click on the Apple in the upper left corner of the display, and select sleep. Keep the lid open when it goes to sleep. Does it still get hot?

As far as downloading and using smcFanControl to ramp up the fan, it's not necessary. Your MacBook has been designed to operate at certain temperatures and the fan set to increase or decrease RPM directly proportional to interior heat. No need to second guess the Apple engineers.

If the machine is overheating for some reason, take it back to the Apple store where you purchased it and have them check it out.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Command - Option - Eject button will put it to sleep with lid open. i use it each night.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for answering

chsag - OK, well I just put it to sleep normally and after around 10 or so seconds, the light did dim then immediately came back on again at the same time as I heard a whirring sound inside and the apple logo flash on the lid. It kept doing this every 30 or so seconds (during this time it got hotter and hotter) so I think you might have hit the nail on the head - it doesn't sleep when I close it :(

I then tried to put it to sleep through the apple menu and again, after 10 seconds the light dimmed and then immediately came back on again with the screen turned on and my login screen displayed. So still no putting it to sleep that way

Collin bl - I tried putting it to sleep the way you said but it acted just the same way as it did when I put it to sleep through the apple menu

Canyou guys reccomend anything? I really don't want to take it back to the apple store until i've really exhausted all of my other options. I'm really annoyed cos this is my first mac and its my only real niggling problem I have with it. I can't let it sleep for fear it will overheat and just totally break, but to be honest, i'm finding it pretty ridiculous for a #1500 pound computer that can't do something my 3 year old #300 pound acer notebook could do with no trouble. I really need to be carrying it around with me for my college studies too :(

any more help would be greatly appreciated

Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
it reminds me of when i had a bluetooth mouse on my pc. everytime it would move, it would wake it up!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is something very wrong. In sleep the machine should be completely quiet, no Apple logo lit. No whirring noises. I would for sure take it to Apple. That is not right at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

I would do as dTravis7 advised and take it on in to your local Apple store and have them look at it. However, if you want to try something before you do...

Reset the SMC (System Management Controller). Following directions as given in this Apple KB article: Link

Regards.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Try unplugging also usb devices and Bluetooth devices and try again.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks everyone

I'm going to try resetting the SMC now but if not I made an appointment at the Genius Bar on Monday. Do you think they'll be able to fix it or replace it or what?

thanks

adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
^ That will be sorted anyways. Its now upto their head. Keep yourself cool!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone

I'm going to try resetting the SMC now but if not I made an appointment at the Genius Bar on Monday. Do you think they'll be able to fix it or replace it or what?

If resetting the SMC doesn't get back the correct power saver functions, by all means take it on in to the Genius Bar. And yes, they'll sort it out and even replace the machine if necessary. Be sure to back up all your data (use Time Machine) first just in case they decide to swap the machine out.

Regards.

Reaction score
There is now an update for the Macbook Pro SMC firmware in Apple's Software Update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.