No power after replacing keyboard

Reaction score
I replaced the keyboard in my G4 Powerbook and now I am
unable to power it up. I double checked all my connections and they all appear to be OK. Being totaly new to the Apple technology, I would appreciate any input.Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it was working OK (able to power up) before you replaced the keyboard, and now it isn't, then it's probably something you did or didn't do. :( Go back over all the steps you went through in replacing the keyboard. You may find something that you overlooked.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, but I have already rechecked everything. I was thinking along the lines of a possible power reset issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
What screen size Powerbook G4, 12", 15" or 17"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
With the 17" Powerbook, the only connection between the top case you will have removed, and the logic board, is a short flex cable. This plugs into a connector under one of the two memory slots. This connector can be damaged if the cable isn't released before lifting up the top case. There is also a possibility it isn't clamped tightly. It's more likely there's a problem with the connection of the short flex cable as this carries the power switch connections. I'd eject the battery and remove memory cover, then eject the first memory chip if fitted and check out the connector. Hope this helps.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did as suggested and reseated the ribbon cable behind the memory chip and the "no power" condition still exists. The cable appears to only be connected one way so I am rather certain that I do not have it reversed and it is secured tightly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.