I switched... closing windows?

P

pstauff

I was once a Mac OS user many years ago. I started on a Apple IIc and went all the way up to System 7. Now I have a home wireless Windows network with networked XP machines, laser and inkjet printers. I am a VERY knowledgable PC user. I've been a professional web developer since 1996. I've somewhat stayed in touch with OS X, since family members still use Macs. Anyway, after buying a Mini iPod for my wife and an iPod Shuffle, I fell back in love with Apple. They just design a beautiful package, from the hardware to the interface. So I bought a iBook G4, 12". I immediately bought a 256 simm and upgraded it. It is superior to my HP and Toshiba in so many ways. (Battery life, low temps, boot-up speed, quietness) I can easily use my network shares and print to my networked printers right out of the box.

A few questions...

1) in XP you can close an application and its active window with one click. In OS X I seem to have to click on the application name and then click on quit application. This is 2 clicks. While not a huge effort, it gets kind of annoying. For instance for Safari I click on "Safari" in the toolbar and then click "Quit Safari." If I click the red circle to close the active window, it closes the window, but leaves the application still running. I know I can use Command-Q, but I like using a mouse.

2) Is CTRL-click the same thing as a right click in Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1) If you click and hold on the icon on the dock a little contextual menu will popup and you can hit quit

2) Yes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
1) Yes, it needs a little time to get used to the fact that closing a window doesn't necessarily close an application, though that depends, because some apps do close when closing the main window. I guess your Mac OS7 times are long gone, because that behaviour is typical for Mac OS7, 8, 9 and X. I never worked on anything earlier than 7...
You already pointed out 2 ways to close an app: via the menu and command+Q. Another one would be ctrl-click (or right-click) on the app's icon in the dock and choose Quit. That's still 2 clicks though. Can't think of any 1-click way to close an app that doesn't close when the window is closed.

2) Yes, ctrl-click is exactly the same than right click. Just hook up a 2-button-scroll-mouse, and you'll see that it works perfectly, including the scroll wheel for scrolling in a window. And that's WITHOUT any driver or the Windows-typical sequence ("found new device", "installing driver for new device" blabla).

Enjoy your Mac experience! :cool:

OP
P

pstauff

Very cool and works great. There are a lot of "hidden" features in OS X. I am discovering new stuff every day. I'm sure MS will copy even more of it in Longhorn.

trpnmonkey41 said:
1) If you click and hold on the icon on the dock a little contextual menu will popup and you can hit quit

OP
P

pstauff

Avalon said:
I guess your Mac OS7 times are long gone, because that behaviour is typical for Mac OS7, 8, 9 and X. I never worked on anything earlier than 7...

It's been a long while. I last had a Mac Classic II. :)

Avalon said:
2) Yes, ctrl-click is exactly the same than right click. Just hook up a 2-button-scroll-mouse, and you'll see that it works perfectly, including the scroll wheel for scrolling in a window. And that's WITHOUT any driver or the Windows-typical sequence ("found new device", "installing driver for new device" blabla).

That is good to know. Most of the time I won't have a mouse hooked up, since it's a laptop and I move around a lot when I use it.

Avalon said:
Enjoy your Mac experience! :cool:

I am, for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.