safari hanging loading web page

Reaction score
We develop software that is accessed via web browsers. The servers are Apache 1.3.x and 2.2.x (solaris and linux). Clients can be IE, Firefox, Safari. We recently noticed that users with Safari browsers hang when loading one of two different pages (never any further). It does not happen with other browsers. The Safari versions so far are
Version/3.2.1 Safari/525.2X, some Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.2X.

Today I added BrowserMatch statements to the httpd.conf like this, also adding to revert to HTTP/1.0, but that didn't make a difference.
BrowserMatch "^Safari$" nokeepalive.

I do not have any errors in the Apache logs that could indicate a problem. I just eventually get that the page can't be loaded (and it is not always the same page, sometimes one loads and then it won't).

I know this is not alot of information but any suggestions would help.

Thank You.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1. What are the exact symptoms of the "hang" you are experiencing? Does the page load hang (eg. progress bar never finishes) or does the browser hang (mouse pointer becomes spinning color wheel over Safari window) or does the system hang (spinning color wheel over all windows, no pointer, pointer doesn't move?)
2. Can you reproduce the problem in a static context (eg. with the generated HTML, scripts, and other resources from the page saved to disk?)
3. Are you testing with the other browsers on the same system?
4. Reset Safari (to clear cookies and caches) and try again.
5. Look at the Activity log (in the Window menu) and the other troubleshooting features in the Develop menu (Error console, network timeline, Web Inspector) and look for anything anomalous.
6. Remove plugins, turn off Java, and turn of JavaScript, and keep trying to isolate the problem.

Apple has a Safari FAQ for web developers here:
Safari Developer FAQ

Good luck.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you.

By hang I mean the status bar stops moving across and the page does not loads. After a minute or two I get the message "failed to open page". Again, sometimes it is one page and others it is the subsequent. I will check the Activity log and the features in the Develop menu.

The removal of plugins, turning off java, etc, is not possible because these are clients accessing our product from all over the country. We have removed all possible cookies, etc, and all other browsers work.

Thank you for your suggestions.

OP
C
Reaction score
I tried the suggestions about the activity log and tools as suggested in the prior post, without luck. This is very strange and would appreciate any further suggestions.

Thanks

OP
C
Reaction score
HI,

We found that if we activated https for the site, it did not hang. Everything was the same, we just had the user go in under https.

Do you have any suggestions? The server with the problem is a linux server but a safari user accessing the same code on a solaris server does not have a problem.

Thank you very much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.