External Storage

Reaction score
Does anyone have this external hard drive:
MiniMax External Hard Drive: Iomega MiniMax Hard Drives

I have read great reviews, overall, but I have a question that no one has addressed in their reviews. Does it turn off when your computer "sleeps" and turn on when you "wake it up"? The Western Digital My Book does that, which is a great feature, but I read some dreadful reviews of that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have a WD My Book hooked up to my Macbook and it works great. In fact, I've heard mostly positive reviews about the My Book.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to contact iOmega about that. As you stated, the WD My Book series can be put to sleep by power saver functions built into Windows and OS X. Not all external hard drives are able to utilize power saving. iOmega will be your best source of information. Be sure to let them know that you'll be using the drive with OS X.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have a WD My Book hooked up to my Macbook and it works great. In fact, I've heard mostly positive reviews about the My Book.

The reviews at newegg.com, bestbuy.com and amazon.com weren't very positive. That's why I was asking about the iomega. I'm just curious if it has that feature. If it doesn't I will take my chances with the WD My Book.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.