wrt54g firmware dhcp conflict

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I own a MacBook and I have been having some issues recently when connecting to the internet. I receive full bars with airport but I am unable to connect to the internet in my house (which has happened in the past, but usually I get through some how). After an hour long conversation with the friendly mac support staff, we determined that I have a "wrt54g firmware dhcp conflict." My understanding of this is tenuous at best, but I think it means that my Linksys router does not communicate well with my laptop because I travel often, and so I am to downgrade or install some sort of a Linksys driver.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this? Has this ever happened to anyone? I apologize if I am starting an additional thread for an already addressed query, but I didn't know what do search for.

Thank you for your assistance in advance :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have no idea what the support staff you're talking to is referring to - and I have many years of experience with networking and wireless networking (and do so professionally).

What kind of security is in use with the wireless connection?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Apple told you to install a Linksys driver? I sure hope not! :D

There is no Linksys driver. I have 3 WRT54g's here at my place and all of them connect perfectly to every Mac in the house.

I am with CWA, what security are you using? WEP? WPA? WPA2?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.